.338 (300gr) Elite Hunter/Comparator Discrepancy

I don't understand the point. Of course when you don't have an insert in your bullet tip will touch. But that insert is .250". I just checked my 300'EH and you can move the bullet side to side in the insert snd easily feel it isn't close to touching. My tool is only 3 years old and looks different than the videos.

The long Bergers bottom out in mine with a 338 insert. The easy fix for me was to use a 30 cal insert. The insert's only job is to reference from the same location on every bullet. It doesn't matter if it's directly on the ogive. In fact, I'm betting none of the different tools reference off the ogive on every bullet make and shape.

I also don't believe that every insert that Hornady manufactures for a given diameter is the same as every other one off the assembly line, which is why I can get a different measurement with one Hornady 30 cal insert than from another Hornady 30 cal insert.

As long as they reference off the same spot on every completed round, the tool is working.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.