325 mh

Elite Muzzleloader

Starting to get the groups I'm looking for with my smokeless muzzleloader. Antelope season is September here in Nebraska and if I draw a tag I want to be dialed in out to 600 yards. It's great to get one hole groups at 100 yards but when your shooting longer ranges it's almost a waste of time.

Today's group eliminated two bullets for me and now it's time to figure out my yardage adjustment. I need to make an inch adjustment for a 200 yard zero but I'm extremely happy with this group.

This is a 5 shot group @ 200 yards that has allot of promise. The 325 MH is running around 2525 fps that carries over 800 fpe to 1000 yards.

The lower left bullet was second shot and I really don't know why it shot there bit the rest is very promising.

Great shooting even with the lower left! Your rifle likes that bullet and load. Can't wait to see your next, maybe 400yd target. gun)

I totally understand about the 100yd shooting after shooting long myself. I'm waiting on a Timney trigger, which I hope will get here soon. Finding a Jewell was out of the question. 48° here this morning and calm winds but, I won't waste any more time or money shooting with this X-Mark Pro. Speaking of triggers, they're harder to get your hands on than .22 LR

A trigger that sucks or not, after seeing the post and someone shooting, I had to give it a go myself. I used a smaller Caldwell dot, hoping it would cause me to concentrate more on the target than that darn trigger.

At the moment I still have original rem trigger breaking at 2.5#. The rest I was using was a Caldwell plastic front rest and a jean pant leg filled with sand, yes ghetto! Yesterday my group was shot of a new rest made by Allen. It held my rifle TIGHT however it will not hold up to the recoil of the rifle therefore it is getting sent back for an exchange. I'm going to get a lead sled solo and see if I can continue to get the groups at 200 yards I did on Thursday.

With all that said as good as the BE's are you might find yourself wasting time with them past 200 yards. This was my findings as well. To be honest it's frustrating but it's the truth. I had groups past 200 yards with the BE's I wasn't happy with at all. Matter of fact the cheaper 250 SST out shot the BE's at 400 yards, go figure!?!?!?

I'm probably going to bite the bullet and just order 100 of the MH here soon. What do you do right?

Good luck with your trigger once you get it figured out it will be very satisfying.

Honestly, I have no confidence in this trigger at all. None. I've set it low and set it higher, but still end up with a trigger pull that feels different with each shot, no matter what the gage states. Thus the reason for shooting at a smaller dot today, requiring more concentration in the scope.

I'll most likely end up ordering the MH also, but I'm going to hold off on expensive bullets for the new trigger. After that, its all up to me. Of course my wife says I need my head examined...

I shot this group with 300grs SST's at 400yds, with a loose scope mount.

Once you've had a nice trigger it's hard to use the factory ones I'm sure! That group with the 300 SST isn't terrible have you tried again with everything tightened down?

I just ordered the Primos Group Therapy Shooting Rest hope it can handle the recoil of my sml! :p

Once you've had a nice trigger it's hard to use the factory ones I'm sure! That group with the 300 SST isn't terrible have you tried again with everything tightened down?

I just ordered the Primos Group Therapy Shooting Rest hope it can handle the recoil of my sml! :p

I have more SST's and will shoot them later on. My shooting is going to slow down considerably until I replace that trigger. We have company coming north from out of state next week, so I better help the little woman with a few chores. She's been very patient and considerate with my purchases lately. I just had 1,000 new Starline brass show up yesterday. :D

I haven't heard of that rest but, I sure like the name, "Group Therapy". I'll have to check it out...... I've had the FCX Lead Sled for three or four years, but shoot it with very little or no weight, as the rest is heavy enough by itself. The recoil from this rifle and load is said to be 72#, thank God I bought it with the muzzle brake.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.