.308 win or 300BO?

I'll give my view which is bias as I've killed over 1000 animals with the blk.
First point is subs are subs a 30 cal out of either sub is the same. Second if you were gonna do a separate mag then do the same out of the blk. I run the 100gr raptors or 99gr hammers over 2500fps. That will more than likely cover all you need. I've taken game well past 200 yards with my setup.
I'm a huge fan of the 300blk the problem I've found is like most who want the heaviest bullet they can but this case is so limited on powder that the lighter ones are better imho.

You would need to rezero your rifle in between subs and supers.
The drop difference at 100 yards between 200+grain subs and 150gr supers is around 14 inches
He did say his sub shots from stand would be 75 yards or less. So he could more than likely zero for supers then be very close at 75 with subs.

He did say his sub shots from stand would be 75 yards or less. So he could more than likely zero for supers then be very close at 75 with subs.

The NF nx8 1-8 has a good reticle for doing subs and supers, with a very simple half-mil indexed reticle. For Barnes 110 supers and Discreet Ballistics hunting subs, you can zero your supers at 100, and your 50-yard zero with subs will be around 1.8/2 Mil over the 100yd zero with your supers. Discreet Ballistics subs out of 1:5 twist barrels are very nice inside 100--and wild around 50yds. An extra mag in the pocket with Barnes 110 supers gets you to 200 at around 1.2 Mil.

You had me till Barnes. Lol
If you shoot those seriously try the cutting edge raptors or hammers significantly better.
Worked alright for me.

What loads are those others you mention? I'm not up on all the different offerings.

Also, forgot to mention earlier, but JTAC's Elf Owl is about to start including a 1:5 twist barrel to help with the subs: https://jtacindustries.com/elf-owl-pistol-300-blackout/ .

You had me till Barnes. Lol
If you shoot those seriously try the cutting edge raptors or hammers significantly better.
I don't know about that. I shoot Hammers too but I think Barnes has the 300 BLK bullet dialed in.

Attachments

• 23BF52C0-F9C6-4EBA-9E2A-4B1AD88A1664.jpeg
    23BF52C0-F9C6-4EBA-9E2A-4B1AD88A1664.jpeg
    574.4 KB · Views: 23
  • 9320BBA0-7232-43C0-8141-91ED60C6FB4F.jpeg
    9320BBA0-7232-43C0-8141-91ED60C6FB4F.jpeg
    357 KB · Views: 19
I've shot them a good amount. That's actually my main hunting rifle till my grendel.
I've probably got several hundred kills with the cutting edge raptor. I have yet to get enough animals with the hammer to make a good case as I fell you need a good sample size. I saw a general overall significant improvement over the Barnes as I shot those when I first got into the 300 game and it is a good bullet. Main difference I saw was internal trauma increased with raptors. I would have to believe it's because it sheds its nose instead of mushrooms.
The hammer came to life after a talk with Steve about how I ran out of case for more powder with the giant plastic tip. Hence the hammer was born. Able to push faster and I am thinking they will end up being the best of them with softer copper but again I won't say they are until I take min of 50 animals in various situations.

(snip) leaning towards the .308 where I could carry an extra mag with supersonic loads.

You can run 300blk supers...

I like the BLK better for subs, less case volume to deal with, and there's plenty of factory subs if you don't reload or are in a crunch for components. Supers are good to go out to 200 or so, depending on the game.

Just make sure you know your zero for both types of ammo... POI will shift dramatically.

Thank you. I'll check out those Cutting Edge Raptors. They look nasty. I've got a bunch of Maker 125 fracturing bullets that appear to be similar but I haven't shot anything with them yet.
I found the lighter the better for the blk for supers. Thanks n fact check out the 99gr hammer bullets for the blk. Steve and I came up with the idea based on running out of case capacity before I saw pressure with the raptor. I hate compressed loads in my AR's so the hammers have a flat base and don't have 1/4" of black plastic tip on the from allows you to seat the bullet completely out of your powder so you can get a bit more in.

One benefit to 300 BLK is you don't really neuter it with a short barrel. (In my context of truck gun/ tractor gun/ handy carry that's bigger than a pistol) I can get everything I need from a 8" long tube. 110 supers are respectable enough to take care of anything I'd shoot the rifle at, and under 200 yards the 220 subs are about as good as any other subsonic 30 cal.

If the possibility existed of a longer shot, it's flat out not the chambering for it though. But there also subs in general might not be the best option for that shot either, so the primary benefit of the 300 BLK (easy subsonic and suppression in AR-15 platform dimensions) is moot at that point.

I like my 300 BLK bolt action so much I've been noodling a compact version:

Form 1 bolt action
MDT LSS Gen 2 Chassis
Folding stock adaptor
Collapsible stock on carbine tube
~9" barrel - just barely long enough to clear the fore end of the chassis
Direct thread TBAC Ultra 7 (would do a 5" can if I had one, might Form 1 a Ti can just for this)

The adaptor swings to the off hand side, so should be able to run the bolt with it folded. Not like a 300 BLK sub has enough recoil to worry about shouldering it anyways.

The thing is, they are redundant. They are both .30, shooting the same bullets below the same velocity threshold. There is no benefit to the .308 over the 300 blackout when they are both subsonic, the load is identical.
I agree with your point but I feel the op has a point in having full loads on hand.

Granted there is different trajectory but of it's known and your Ina stand you might be able to utilise it.

I wanted to buy a blackout but we can't have suppressors but I can load subsonic ammo with Trailboss so for the .308 using a fraction more of the same powder so I figure the .308 is just more versatile as a hunting rifle I can go up or down the scale with the same range of projectiles.

The .300Blackout was designed to work in an AR platform, if that's what you need it fits.

In Australia we have AR2206H powder that is versatile across many cartridges.

Sold in the US as Hogdon H4895.

This powder can be run at 60% of max loads for light loads etc also offering some options for any cartridge it is suited in. The common old .308 being one.