308 question

Gobblestopper

I have worked up a load that is very accurate but is only averaging 2450 FPS 40.5 gr Varget .015 of lands 168 Hornady match.
Very loose factory chambering and an extremely long throat. 26 inch factory remmey Varmint. Just curious as to what velocities anyone else is getting on similar set ups. I begin to lose accuracy as I move up on powder on other bullets just looking for advice. I did not start at the bottom of load data. Started at 38. New to the 308 wanting to know if this an acceptable velocity out to 6-700yds

What reloading data are you using? You are way under on most of the data I am seeing although I don't have Hornady. Most data is showing 41/42 on low end and 44/46 on upper end for 168 gr and Varget.

I have a load that I use in a factory rem varmint.308 26" bbl. it's averaging 2840fps. I use 44gr. Varget with 168 amax loaded to mag length.

I'm getting 2825fps with Hornady 168bthp using imr4064 in a 26 inch barrel.

I'm just losing accuracy after the 40.5 gr. I've shot several groups at 40.5 at .5 they just open up with the higher velocities on the bullets I have tried. Really wanted to get the Varget to work. I have some imr 4895 and 4064 I might try out.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.