.308 bullet seating and ogive

Metzger

Hi,

Have have a .308 and I currently seat 178 amax to 2.250 ogive and get better than 1/2 moa all day long.

I am trying out laupas 155 scenar and it is not as long as the amax. My chamber is showing a constant 2.275 with both amax and scenar.

The scenar just don't sit as deep in the brass as amax. I am trying to keep that .025 jump or less. Will seating i run into any issues running that shallow.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    156.1 KB · Views: 101
Metzger, as long as you have enough neck tension to hold the bullets that seating depth is fine. I have a Browning Abolt II in 308Win that I load 165 Speer BTSP bullets in and have to jump them somewhere over .200" to get to the lands, but it will consistently shoot .25MOA. I like to seat bullets close to the rifling but sometimes it just won't happen in an off the shelf rifle. A long jump doesn't mean the rifle won't shoot well, but it usually means load development takes more trying.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.