308 blr

bamadawg2009

So I have been reloading for about 16 years now but have never loaded for my Browning BLR in 308. My question is do I need to crimp bullets for the magazine or will I be fine just loading like I do for my bolt guns and not crimp. Im only asking because if I dont have to crimp it opens my bullet selection up a whole bunch instead of just using canalured bullets like I do in my autos.

Since the rounds are held in a standard magazine you should be fine with a more normal bullet tension. That would be the care you would give bolt action rounds.

Most of the time bullets are held very secure just by seating them, no addition crimp. You can run into some combinations of brass, bullet, die & process where that isn't the final outcome. Unless you run into that I'd just go forward with just seating the bullet normally.

I do measure the chamber with a specific bullet to make sure I am off the 'lands' enough so as to not stuck a bullet while out hunting. Most of the time it isn't an issue.

I kind of figured Id be ok without a crimp but just checking to see if anybody had ever had any issues not crimping for them.

Depending on what type of resizing you're doing, whether it full length of just neck resizing, one of the manufacturers recommendations (Lee, to be precise) is that when using Lee's Collet Neck Sizer, that it will only resize the neck .001 smaller than the diameter of the bullet (giving you .001 neck tension). With that type of resizing, Lee recommends you put on a slight crimp using the Lee Factory Crimp....

Im full length sizing with reddings, but I do have a lee factory crimp die already that I use when I load for my dads BAR. While Im into this can I crimp on a bullet that does not have the cannalure and be fine?

Bamadawg...

I load Sierra 175's (BTHP) for my .308 using neck sizing only, and I always follow up the seating with a slight crimp. There's no crimp ring on that particular bullet, but using the Lee factory crimp applies a taper crimp opposed to a roll crimp, and it works out good for me.

If you haven't been crimping, and it's working out well for you, and if you're getting the accuracy, and consistency you want.... I guess if it ain't broke.... why screw with it.... If on the other hand, you do decide to give it a try... look at other factors... chamber fit... shooting C.O.A.L. as opposed to shooting off the rifling, etc..... watch for pressure signs, adjust your charges if necessary, follow Lee's recommendations for using the crimp, and most of all be safe....

Thanks,

DD

Thanks Dog I was going to try some VLD 168s Ive had laying around forever not being used then try some 175 MK or VLDs when everything gets back to normal if ever that is. I have 4lbs of varget and IMR4064 that I shot in my other 308 that I got rid of so Im good on powder. Ill try some without a crimp first then try them with and check pressure signs and accuracy. Ill find something eventually. I really do like the lee factory crimp over the roll crimp but it adds another step to the process but it doesnt take that much longer.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.