.308 210gr vld help

mconwa951

First time reloading read lots of books and watched lots of video just quick question. I read the sticky with the seating depth at the top of this forum is it better to start with a standard length cartrige and experiment with powder charge or is it better to use the starting point charge and experiment with the seating depth first?
Thanks in advance
Mike

What i do and believe most others do is just seat the bullet with a little jam or just at the lands, work out your powder charge, then mess with seating depth then go back and maybe try plus/minus in .1gr increments for final adjustment. Test at 200-300 depending on wind and use a chronograph if you have access to one. .5moa at single digit ES beats an ES of 50 and .25" at 100 every time in this game!! Good luck, be safe, and have fun.

Edit: Printing out this article would also be a good idea for once you have your charge worked up. http://www.longrangehunting.com/articles/vld-bullets-accuracy-2.php

This depends on your rifle. I could not get anywhere near my lands, so I started by loading to mag length, and then loaded some up in 1/2 grain increments until i found the sweet spot. i never did have to change the oal, and was able to find a great load by just varying the charge.

a friend of mine just yesterday brought over his 300wby win mod 70 that shawn carlock just put a brake on and did a trigger job. we loaded some 210 bergers to mag length and started with 76.5 grains of H-1000. this is the same load that we shoot out of a rem 700 300 wby.

it was incredible. didnt have to change a thing and this gun shoots 1/2 mo. verified with 3 groups at 100 yards, all right at 1/2 moa. this weekend we will give it a try with some distance.

by the way, shawns work is amazing, this gun shoots so much different than it did prior to the trigger and brake work!

good luck.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.