300wsm h4350 05 h4831

Engrmikl

Hi Guys
I am a new loader with an FN SPR 300 WSM 24" barrel for long range shooting. Not so much for hunting, It weighs 16lbs. I am going to run some 210 and 220 SMK to start since the guy who built my rifle did my first load of ammo with these. I have Federal Magnum primers and virgin Federal and Winchester brass. Looking at H4831 or H4350 powder. Which is the better for the heavier bullets?
Thanks for the help

its about a toss up. Whichever gives the best accuracy in your gun is the one id pick. Id also give re19 and re17 and the imr 4831 and 4350s a try. Mine does its best with h4831sc. but then im shooting lighter hunting bullets.

Thanks I was hoping not to have to have two or three different powders but so far everything point to trial and error. So probably will buy a few pound of several.

Which one of the two is a smaller grain. I will be using a hopper type powder feed. (Horndy LNL) Going to use it as a single stage until more comfotable. Anyway I here that the larger grain powders have trouble in the rotor. I saw the H4831 SC and was leaning to start with that.

All the above powders "seem" to work well in the 300WSM. Myself, I have had great results using the H4350 and the 208 A-max... though it's of the coarse grain and you spoke of using the finer grain powders.
Lately, with the powder supplies dwindling, I have been looking into other powders that seem more available in my area. This past weekend, I went out with some "testers" loaded up to see if any showed promise.
Results are as follows...

My usual groups are 1 1/2 inch @ 200 yds using the 208 A-max with 58.5 grn of H4350 and CCI mag primers. (yeah, I know... I suck) using a Tikka T3 Varmint SS with 23 3/4" Varmint contour barrel.

Tried:

#1 Superformance. 208 A-max with 57 grn of Superformance and CCI mag primers. No signs of pressure... and grouping was 2 1/4 @ 200 yds. 5 shots

#2 Hodgdon H380. 208 A-max with 56.5 grn of H380 and CCi mag primers. Once again, no signs of pressure and grouping was 2 1/4 @ 200 yds. 5 shots

As you can see, there are many powders available... it's just a matter of finding the sweet spot that "your" firearm likes.

I also tried a heavier load with the H4350 at 59 grn... BIG signs of pressure and I only shot two before I boxed the rest.

NOTE: H380 and Superformance are of the small grain style. OAL was 2.900 and it was hotter than Hades here that day (31c).

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.