• You must be a Supporting Member to create a listing in the Long Range Hunting Marketplace. To read all the rules, click here.

We offer multiple options to become a Supporting Member here.

SOLD/EXPIRED 300 WSM Brass - One piece

LiveToHunt7

Hey y'all,

Looking for a single piece of 300 WSM Brass, ADG preferred. Buddy bought some factory Nosler ammo (copper) and his factory Hell's Canyon won't accept the rounds. Bolt won't fully close.

So, looking to see if ADG brass will work for hom and I can teach him to handload.

Thank you.

My buddy had that same issue with his 300 WSM only it was factory seconds Nosler brass he loaded and didn't size first (Nosler claims it is ready to load). I have shot a lot of Nosler and never had an issue. He said a piece of ADG brass allowed the bolt to close easily. Although a simple fix would be to pull the bullets, empty powder and bump the shoulder back. Remove the decapping pin so you don't ruin a good primer. Then pour powder back in and seat your bullet.

New rifle? No trouble with other ammo before using this ammo?

May not be shoulder of brass. Have you measured the COAL and CBTO of the Nosler ammo? Just wondering if the ammo is too long or the throat might be on short side. The copper bullet in this ammo may be tad long. Easy to Sharpie the ogive of bullet in the ammo and see if it is jamming into lands.

Factory 300 WSM's tend not to have a long throat.

Just a thought to check.

I can send you 1X factory range picked Winchester brass if that has interest.

It was a new rifle but he had shot other ammo through it with no problems. Just the Nosler gave him issues.

^^^
This.

If it's chambering other SAAMI brass, I'd do as suggested- make sure the CBTO length isn't more than what the freebore allows.

I believe he's about other copper rounds through it before.

You're saying it may be specific to the Nosler or copper ammunition?

I'll have to look into getting those measurements.

Easy if you have a modified case and a comparator.
Or just do as Muddyboots said- blue the ogive of the bullet, that'll tell you if it's the shoulder or the bullet.

Did he size the brass first?

300 WSM is a very fat cartridge.

I run both ADG and Norma.

Try full length sizing first.

Then check the oal of the brass with a Comparator.

Didn't size anything as it's factory ammunition.

Bullets have different ogive dimensions, will I need the specific bullet?

And come to think of it, if it's a short chamber problem, there won't be much he can do outside of handloading and seating the bullet into the case to get clearance.

That seems to be a fault with the gun and should be taken care of by Browning.

Pull a bullet and just try the case , if it chambers easily you know its the bullet to freebore issue if not then its a brass issue
If its brass issue my guess is shoulders need to be bumped backed.

I believe he's about other copper rounds through it before.

You're saying it may be specific to the Nosler or copper ammunition?

I'll have to look into getting those measurements.
BTW Nosler shows the OAL for the 168 and 180 Expansion Tip to be 2.800 on their load data. Easy measurement to make.

Had the same issue with a 28 nosler. Bought some nosler ammo to break in the barrel. Same box of ammo some would load fine others would have hard bolt close others couldn't close the bolt. Used Hornady brass to reload with no issues.

Buddy of mine had the same problem with a new Tikka rifle. Factory Nosler loaded ammo would not chamber. Not new brass that he loaded, factory ammo. Federal factory ammo chambered smoothly and shot well.

Could be Nosler is having QC issues with 300 WSM ammo.