300 WinMag Load with Barnes - Light Weight Mountain Rifle

frankinaustin

Howdy everyone - I got my hands on a 5 1/2 pound Rifles Inc. 300 Win Mag Mountain Rifle. It's a dandy!! I wanted to see if anyone has a load for a super-light pencil-thin 300 WM - 24" Lilja barrel with a muzzle brake. I like Barnes bullets (or should I say my other rifle likes them) - anyway - wanted to check to see if there are any good loads from you all. I'm way more interested in accuracy than velocity, esp with a 300WM, where there is plenty of killing power.

Please let me know your thoughts. Thanks! Frank

5 1/2 lb 300WM

Bet that will leave a mark, Don't shoot it in a t shirt for very long...:D

Howdy everyone - I got my hands on a 5 1/2 pound Rifles Inc. 300 Win Mag Mountain Rifle. It's a dandy!! I wanted to see if anyone has a load for a super-light pencil-thin 300 WM - 24" Lilja barrel with a muzzle brake. I like Barnes bullets (or should I say my other rifle likes them) - anyway - wanted to check to see if there are any good loads from you all. I'm way more interested in accuracy than velocity, esp with a 300WM, where there is plenty of killing power.

Do you plan on shooting light bullets too?

That is lightweight. I thought my 7.5lb was light. I found luck w/ 165 hornady gmx over 4831sc in a 24" factory savage barrel.

My Tikka T3 super light is shooting Barnes 175 LRX over IMR 7828ssc at 3080 fps ,
Into nice little round groups. Kicks a little, but carries like a dream.

Been working on loads for a friend with a custom 300 Win that weighs 8lbs complete. Having very good results with Barnes 200 lrx and MRP powder.

I tried a bunch of powders and bullets in my Rem 700 and ended up with the following: 190 gr. Nosler Accubond Long Range, Nosler brass, 73 grs. H4831SC, Fed 215m primers, OAL 3.645 (.005) off lands...following results: best groups - 100 yds .40", 200 yds .60", 300 yds. .95". 2850 FPS.

Just got back from WY elk hunt ...saw 2 cows at 800 to 1000 yds. didn't shoot, weather too warm, most of the herd way up high in the mountains and we hunted between 8500 and 10000 feet!

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts