300 ultra mag sight in trouble.

steelhead613

So i just got back from the range with a new 300 RUM and didnt find the groping as good as i hoped.
93 grains RL-25 180 accubond remington mag primers got me 2.32

93g RL-25 185 berger VLD rem mag primer 1.53

91g RL-25 180 accubond same primer 1.50

91g RL-25 180 sierra game king 1.98

It seems to do better with less powder but not as good as I like. What about OCL? It was around 3.65 in all of the rounds. Too long? Too short? Pretty new at this big of a cartridge so any help would be great! Thanks in advance

What rifle ,scope etc? My accurate load with 300 ultra and 180's I have been running 95.0 gr RL25. Are your action screws torqued correctly? Everything tight? Give some details of your rifle,scope mounts etc.

+1 to the above post. Need more info. I'll give you my experiance with a 300 RUM SPS Remmy that I bought a couple years ago.

To kick things off, I started with Leupold double dove tail bases and rings. I aligned and lapped these to show no "rocking" under a dial indicator when alternately snugged and loosened. In these went a VXIII 4.5X-14X.

I fire lapped her,lapped the bolt lugs,and bedded her in a BDL magnum take off stock I picked up for a song. A good friend and bencherst rifle smith of mine "tuned up" the stock trigger.

I'm happy to say she is a shooter. 165,180,and 200gr bullets will all clover leaf @ 100yds with their favorite brew. To date the favorite powders are 7828 and Retumbo. I've yet to try the RL25. RL 15,19 & 22 have all been favorite powders of mine in all sorts of calibers,so I'm sure RL25 is a fine propellant for the 30 Ultra.

Thanks for the info. My gun is the XCR model 700. I'm sure all the screws are tight and locktited. I have leupold double dove tail mounts and leupold rings. The scope is a nikon 4-16x42 monarch BDC. I just wonder if i should try a different powder to gain a tighter group?? Think I will try either retumbo o h1000. Thanks for an more info you guys may have!

Thats what I have a rem 700 xcr. Last time out with RL25 and 92.0grs and 200 gr accubonds it put 5 shots into 3/4 inch. I used a torque driver and set the torque equally on front and back action screws 40 inch lbs.Is your scope focused properly? What power do you shoot at 100yrds? Where in Montana are you located?

I load 200gr Accubonds and 200gr Swift A-Frames in my 300RUM but just didn't/couldn't get the accuracy I wanted with RL25.

Switched to Retumbo worked up to 94grs with the 200gr Accubonds and my groups shrunk to the best I have ever gotten with this rifle.

3 shots @ 100 yards

img_9200.jpg

3 shots @ 300 yards

img_9196.jpg

Very nice! I tell you,once you get one of these big girls working they are sweet! I was sceptical about mine at first. Now it may very well be my best shooting big game rifle. That's no faint praise as I have a real sweetie of a 25/06 here also.

Thats what I have a rem 700 xcr. Last time out with RL25 and 92.0grs and 200 gr accubonds it put 5 shots into 3/4 inch. I used a torque driver and set the torque equally on front and back action screws 40 inch lbs.Is your scope focused properly? What power do you shoot at 100yrds? Where in Montana are you located?

Thanks. If i could get 3/4 inch i would be ok with that. I think my scope is focused. It has a eye piece that i focused to what I think is best. I dont have a torque driver but they are pretty tight. Cant screw them any harder with the allen wrench I used. I tried 93 grs and 91 and the 91 load was a little closer. I've read that the closer to max load the better. What do you think? I'm also only using 180 accubonds. Maybe a 200 grain would be better. I'm going to try retumbo and h1000 to see if that makes any difference. I dont think i would ever take 500+ yard shot at an elk, yet. Not enough practice for one and with my groups the way they are, I would hate to wound one. I was shooting at a few different powers. All the way to 16. Didnt seem to make much difference. Is there a optimal power to sight in with? One thing about it is I'm having fun and learning a lot about reloading. I have a guy helping me who is into it big time. We are planning on changing the seating length but i cant get anything over about 3.85 in the magazine. So I will just keep playing with it. I live in Missoula. Great place if you can get past the greenies around here.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.