300 Ultra Mag in Savage with Barnes

rost495

Hi Folks, second question now that I found my way back here. My buddy bought a Savage 116 fsak in 300 ultra mag. He brought home brass, dies etc..... Including some 180 barnes X bullets( I dont' recall if its Triple shock or what)

Where do i start for loading and accuracy. Depth,powder, primers etc..

Thanks, Jeff

Gee, looks like no takers. Guess I'll go back to trying to finish up 4000 rounds of 223 match ammo in the meantime.

Any help anyone?? I looked and found we have RP brass. Is there any other brand or is this brass good enough? have not weighed or checked concentricity yet.

Thanks? Jeff

Try 150 gr Nosler sitting on 94.6 gr IMR 7828
with 3.445" O.A.L. I got tight clover leaf group with this combo at 200yds. and 1.5" at
300 yds., shoots **** good in my Savage 116
sak weather warrior!Try also 180 gr. Lrb sitting on 85 gr of reloader 25 with 3.68"
O.A.L.

Sniper 2

Thanks for the quick reply. I'll have to get some powder. Which may take till early August when I run into a city.

We won't be running 150s but appreciate that info if he ever wants to pop a coyote etc... Should be a spectacular round for that.

I have the 180s and will work that load around. I'll be starting quite a bit lower since I've never shot the Barnes TS.

We've got the rifle apart reworking the bedding at the moment.

Hope we have all the rest of the components by Mid August. I'll be shooting my muzzleloader tests by then so it'll all work out.( if the MZ comes in...) I like RL22 so 25 should be good. Tempted by the 7828 or Retumbo. But 25 is a good starting powder.

Thanks again. Jeff

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.