300 saum project?

OKbow87

I just wanted to pick the brains of some experts around here about a project I have been thinking up. I am wanting to build a 300 saum on a s/a and run the 208 amax. Right now I am planning on using a surgeon round action in their wsm pattern with the 3.110" port in the bottom of the reciever and the seekins wsm bottom metal when it comes out, which is supposed to allow you to load to 3.1". As I see it the surgeon bolt and bolt stop should already be machined where it travels far enough to pick up the cases from the magazine and allow enough room for ejecting a loaded case. This is my main reason for using this action even though I believe you can do the same thing with a regular 700 s/a with some machining. I guess what I am looking for is somebody to confirm my thoughts and to tell me if there is anything I haven't thought of that goes along with using this set up.

And just incase anybody was wondering my thoughts on this... loading to 3.095"-3.1" with the 208 amax which is 1.535" long itself will actually allow me to have more case capacity than what the nosler guide shows with it loaded to 2.825" with the 200 accubond which is 1.490". This should allow me to use some slower powders from what their data shows, like h100 and retumbo. So I think I will be able to get some pretty good numbers out of a 26" barell, 2900+. Like I said any comments anybody has I would be more than happy to hear them.

I've used a .300 RSAUM for 1k matches since it first came out; it's a great cartridge, way underestimated in the hunting, tactical and target game. With its fat .308 Win dimension case body, it brings all the inherent accuracy of the .308 Win, with the power range of the .300 Win Magnum too the table, in a short, or long action rifle. However'.., I picked the long action with a 1-10 twist 27" inch polygonal barrel. Loading {63.5grs} of H4831SC, Rem 9 1/2 M with a 190gr. Sierra MK; (10) rounds chronograph out at 2844 fps, SD 17 fps, E-spread 58 fps; this was with temp; 64 degrees, Hum 30.38, wind 3 mph'…, a nice day to zero. This load shoots sub 0.5" I could push it harder and "possibly get a reliable" 2900+ fps'…, but it's not needed. When I first built this rifle it was 30 inches in barrel length and I loaded {64.5grs} of H4831SC to get 3000 fps….. But that was a waist with that 190gr. Mk's, so I cut it back to 27 inches and added a break for practice days.

As for your project; I think {.02} if you wanted to use the case volume especially with a 208gr. you might want to look at a long action. It's the case that the advantage is in the cartridge. You're going to have to seat the bullet deep. And reaching 2900 plus fps with a 208gr in a 26" might be a bit of a stretch. My OAL is 2.90" with the 190gr MK's.
To tell you the truth, I don't know want all the fuss is about on short and long action in cartridges like this.... it's kinda like having a 1911 in a Commander or one in a Government... that little barrel difference means nothing in the real world, as too how well they carry, but people just got to have that inch or so off the barrel to feel good.

My Long action works great with it, no regrets.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.