300 RUM Velocity during Ladder test 400yrds

Wachsmann

When I bought the 300RUM I was hoping to get about 3150 to 3200fps out of it with the 210VLD or the 215berger or the 208 Amax. But I just don't think it will do it with the factory barrel and not having a pressure issue. Or I don't think mine will do it. I had read a lot of posters that seem to be getting 3150 to 3200fps but I have been told that the volicities below seem to be on par with most factory guns. Unless the poster were doing some embellishing. Even on the 93 grain load I did not see any ejector mark but where the primmer is hit by the firing pin I think it may be starting to creater. I seen this on another post with the cratering and the ejector mark. I don't know which sign of pressure comes first. the ejector mark or the cratering. The 91 and 91.5 is completely smooth at the edge of the dimple left by the firing pin and the 92 to 93 I can catch my finger nail on the edge. I seen a picture of this and it looks slightly the same so I think I'm at the max or very very close. I know 93 is one grain over book max for retumbo also. The good thing is all these shots fit into about a 5 inch circle. I did not hold for wind and I adjusted my turret for a velocity of 3050 fps. So this would get me on the paper in the center for what I figured and it did. So I'll probably wait till it warms up a bit and retry this test out at double the distance or 1 K and make the adjust or come ups using the velocity off my 91 grain load, and hopefully I'll have better light conditions. Also I did not clean the barrel during shooting. I started with a clean barrel. I shot 2 fouller and then started the test out in the western desert of Utah very overcast which gave that grey appearance to everything. Had about 3 to 4 inches of snow everywhere as well temp was 30 degrees.

90.5 91.0 91.5 92.0 92.5 93.0
2976 3009 3016 3065 3086 3100
2956 3023 3030 3037 3086 3129
2962 3023 3030 3037 3037 3108

3200 fps is doable with a 26 inch barrel and 200 grain Accubonds. Been doing it a long time. mtmuley

Shooting a Sendaro with 26 inch barrel with the 215 Bergers using 94 gr retumbo I am getting 3150 fps and shoots sub moa.

I am also shooting 208 gr amax using 92 gr retumbo at 3125 fps also shoots the same' All are loaded 15 thou off the lands.

Shooting a Sendaro with 26 inch barrel with the 215 Bergers using 94 gr retumbo I am getting 3150 fps and shoots sub moa.

I am also shooting 208 gr amax using 92 gr retumbo at 3125 fps also shoots the same' All are loaded 15 thou off the lands.

What is your COL on those rounds? Have you shot any of the 230's?

What is your COL on those rounds? Have you shot any of the 230's?

Col for the amax is 3.866
Col for the Bergers 215 hybrid is 3.928
Col got the 208 gr hornady match is 3.821
I have never tried the 230. The only reason I went to the amax and match is because the Bergers were to hard to get. I was saving the ones I had left to hunt with and was using the hornadys to bang steel with.
All 3 shoot really well.

I am wanting to build a mag feedable gun, but I just think there is no way with the 215's or 230's seated out to take advantage of the case capacity.

I am wanting to build a mag feedable gun, but I just think there is no way with the 215's or 230's seated out to take advantage of the case capacity.

No there would be no way they would fit in the magazine.
Mind you when you shoot a deer with the 215 there is no need for a follow up shot.

Cratering of a primer is not a clear indication of pressure. Especially on used rifles where the firing pin has wallowed out its bore. Ejector marks are much more indicative of a high pressure situation and are usually preceeded by flattening of the primer, then the loosening of its pockets. I usually test for a clear ejector mark or severely flattened primers since headspace can also cause flattened primers. Finding a true max load with an understood or standard weight case is valuable info.

Since I found me another box of the 210 Bergers I'll probably go back and do the test again but possibly checking a heavier powder charge going up to 94 grains. I was trying to get a load that would fit in the standard mag but it seems the best thing may be single feed. If the rifle get dial in then hopefully shooting deer or Elk will be a one shot kill. Also should I try to find my cartridge OAL length first before trying to find a powder charge.

Since I found me another box of the 210 Bergers I'll probably go back and do the test again but possibly checking a heavier powder charge going up to 94 grains. I was trying to get a load that would fit in the standard mag but it seems the best thing may be single feed. If the rifle get dial in then hopefully shooting deer or Elk will be a one shot kill. Also should I try to find my cartridge OAL length first before trying to find a powder charge.

I would get one of the charges that yielded good accuracy and test seating depth with that load. Then work up to max from there. That way you get data on you're cartridge set up the way you intend to use it.

I personally dont worry about mag length unless im reloading for a repeater. I hardly ever need a follow up shot hunting, i always hunt with three shells laid out, and when i plan on shooting more than three rounds i have a box of 50 in my ruck sack. To me a spec COAL just restricts me from finding more accuracy.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.