300 RUM for starters

adamsoa

I'm just getting into long range shooting. I've been a dedicated bow hunter because I like to get close. However, I'm really starting to really like long range shooting too.
My first gun was a Remington 700 in 7mm mag. A few years ago I sent it to Virgin Valley and had them out on a new stock and make it into a 300 RUM with a 28"barrel. We played around alot with loads and have found one that really does well. I've killed deer out to 680 yards with it my trusty Nikon Monarch scope. With this scope I dont feel comfortable shooting much more than this. I want to get a new scope and get a little more serious about my long range shooting.
Along with that I had a remington 700 .234 that I wanted to play with. My brother talked me into changing this gun. It is now a 6.5-284. Night Owl from Salt Lake City put a 28" barrel on it blue printed the action and did quite a bit of work on the stock. We are getting ready to start working in this gun also but it is in desperate need of a scope too.

I just returned from the annual Idaho Whitetail hunt. I was shooting my .270 wsm. I had the oppertunity to shoot a deer at 600 yards and loved it. The place we were watching would have given me the oppertunity to shoot out to 1000 yards. I'm looking forward to lots of practice and trying some of these shots next year.

I'm looking for advice on scopes and other eqquipment that I would need to start working on my shooting at these longer distances.

RE: Scope recommendations.

I think a lot would depend on your personal preference such as hold over/under or click.

If hold over/under than an appropriate, personally comfortable reticle would be in order.

If clicking scope options open considerably with decisions on turret design needed. That is, MOA/IPHY clicks or Drop Compensation clicks. This consideration has more to do with setup up time i.e., BDC turrets may be less complicated. Thus quicker and made with more confidence (the first time) than with MOA or IPHY clicks.

With big game time from spotting to taking the shot may be minutes or longer. For predators the time is usually measured in seconds and not very many of them.

Most here will recommend the Night Force but there are a lot of options out there. Depending...........

I would like to try the click. I have a Leupold 3.5 X 10 with the B and C rectile. It had been good, but out 5-600 yards it isnt enough. I've played around with holding over quite a bit too but I'm wanting to take it to the next level and really start seeing what the gun can do. For animals it would be big game. I should have time to make adjustments (I hope so anyway).
I know that NF scopes are some of the best but do I have other good options?

I have a Zeiss Conquest 6.5-20x50 with clicks that gets me to beyond 1K w/o a tapered mount. It fits any light conditions that any other scope does and I've shot groups smaller than I should have and busted rocks smaller and farther than necessary using it.

They are worth checking out. Plus the optics sponsors here have some very good buys. Espcially considering Zeiss' warranty. I needed a Zeiss label and it was here the next day.

I have Nightforce NXS that was on my 300 win mag and I needed another scope for a 6br that i use for varmints.

I loved the NXS but couldn't afford another one, so I chose a Sightron 8-32x56.

It has a 1/4 minute dot that seems to really work well. It was half the price of the NXS and the optics are very good. It works great if you are a clicker. They make a mildot version in the lower powers that would work great if you are hold over type.

I was very concerned about the quality but was very impressed when I started using it.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.