300 remington ultra mag/ 300 H&H collet die question..

kaseyfied

hello,

have a question. I cannot find any 300 remington ultra mag collet dies for neck sizing. I can find 300 H&H and when I go to case length gauges. it says that 300 ultra mag and 300 H&H are the same. I was told by a sporting good employee they are the same. I want to know forsure before I buy them if they will work. talking about the lee collet dies. any help would be awesome thanks

kasey

The diameter of the sleeve on the Lee dies is big enough for the standard magnum belt, the ultra mag is too big at the base of the case. You could probably hone the base of the sleeve out, or Lee will custom build a set for ~$60 I believe.

hello,

have a question. I cannot find any 300 remington ultra mag collet dies for neck sizing. I can find 300 H&H and when I go to case length gauges. it says that 300 ultra mag and 300 H&H are the same. I was told by a sporting good employee they are the same. I want to know forsure before I buy them if they will work. talking about the lee collet dies. any help would be awesome thanks

kasey

Kasey, you'll need to call Lee and have a custom set made for the .300 RUM. I did this in Jan and had them in about 4-5 weeks; cost was around $60 as mentioned above. You'll need to send them two fire formed cases shot from your rifle as well as a bullet or two. While your ordering, go ahead and order an undersized mandrel for an extra $5. Depending on your intended use, the undersized mandrel will increase bullet tension.
So far, i am happy with the dies; they work as advertised.

cant I just buy a set of RCBS? or does lee make the only ones? I saw a set of 300 ultra mag neck sizing dies on gunbroker from RCBS

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.