.300 R.U.M advice wanted

Dave Howe

I would like to purchase a Remington 700 SPS in .300 R.U.M but am debating replacing the factory synthetic stock with a wooden stock for a more stable shot and a little more weight. I weigh around 250lbs and am wondering if a replacement stock is a good idea or not. Any advice would be greatly appreciated

The SPS stock is extremely flimsy and has a "pressure point" at the end of the forearm. A stiffer stock will allow you to "free float" the barrel. BUT! I would definitely shoot it with the factory set up first to see how she does and to give you a baseline. I do have a Rem 7mag XCR that shoots much better with the factory stock with tip pressure than being free floated.

I would like to purchase a Remington 700 SPS in .300 R.U.M but am debating replacing the factory synthetic stock with a wooden stock for a more stable shot and a little more weight. I weigh around 250lbs and am wondering if a replacement stock is a good idea or not. Any advice would be greatly appreciated

If you get a replacement stock get a Bell and Carlson or H-S Precision stock. They are synthetic but are much stiffer and stronger than the factory stocks. The also feature aluminum bedding blocks. The only thing nice about wood stocks is their looks and they are solid, but they can swell and move from the temperature or from getting wet and the wood expanding.

If you plan on shooting long range, look into the Remington 700 Long Range. It is basically an SPS but has a Sendero contour barrel and a Bell and Carlson M40 stock from the factory.

Thanks for the tips, I am more of a traditional style shooter and prefer the looks and stability of a wood or laminate stock. I know that the wood can swell but proper sealing and a stain coating can prevent that from happening. gun)

Thanks for the tips, I am more of a traditional style shooter and prefer the looks and stability of a wood or laminate stock. I know that the wood can swell but proper sealing and a stain coating can prevent that from happening. gun)

I'd go with laminate if you prefer wood.

I've always read about swelling of wood stock and wondered why don't guys who like the wood stocks just use Thompsons Water Seal, problem solved.

Thanks for the links to the Stocky's website, I like the looks of the first stock and I might look into Thompson's water seal as well

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.