300 Norma vs 22 Dasher

Lol I wasn't asking for opinions intentionally. Just posted the picture for fun. But I'm somehow developing a "need" to fill a new niche. Hell I haven't even brok in the last gun I built and have 3 in the works

I learned along time ago to NEVER a$k thi$ type of que$tion to thi$ forum for the $ame rea$on you're $tating. :cool:

Having said that, my wife of 36 years stopped asking why I do what I do along time ago. :D

Yes. I am building a Surgeon XL 300 Norma Improved. I can't stand the 20* shoulder. Everything I primarily build is an Improved version of some sort

Can't find the IMP version of the Norma and why would I. Although, it would be interesting to run the cmparrison. Norma's 20Deg neck is already shorter than the Dakota. It needs 9.6g more powder (WMR) to achieve the same MV & EN.

Using 79.3g of RL22 in the Dakota gives the same ballistics with 11.2g less powder than the Norma.
Yeah I know, I'm a Dakota junkie. But sending a 180 at 3200 should do the job with less powder.
:)

.300 DAKOTA 32Deg
180 Hornady
80.9M WMR
MV 3,200
EN 4,094
26.0 "

.300 NORMA

180 Barnes
90.5 ADI AR-2225
MV 3,200
EN 4,094
26.0 "

.243 Win or 25-06 Rem.....You do not have anything in plane Jane over the counter brass that is not a crazy insane barrel burner. Just a thought but you already have boutique cartridges that are not in anyway practical. It is kind of like owning nothing but hi end exotic car's with no daily driver of practicality. You do not want to be that guy towing a bass boat or jet ski with a Corvette of Ferrari! LOL I have actualy seen both in real life!

I own several "plain Jane" rifles. .243 x2, .308 x2, .270win, 30.06. All of which have plenty of "over the counter ammunition" Not to mention a large collection of shotguns in 12ga and 20ga.

.243 Win or 25-06 Rem.....You do not have anything in plane Jane over the counter brass that is not a crazy insane barrel burner. Just a thought but you already have boutique cartridges that are not in anyway practical

Would love to know more about this cartridge? Did you make yourself? How do you build the brass? And the rifle, etc.....

Here is what I did. It's a project, but I didn't make a project out of it! All about the fun!

6.5x.257 Wby Vanguard Pkg. (Completed)

-Weatherby Vanguard .257 Wby $470
-Pac-Nor Barrel- 6.5- .257 Wby Mag: 1 in 8.5" twist #5- 26" 310
Contoured & Polished Super-Match Grade Stainless Steel Blank
-Fitting and Chambering PAC-NOR Barrel to Your Action 300
(Includes Lapping and Truing of Action)
-Timney Trigger 117
-Bell and Carlson Medalist #6501, 290
Black with Gray Spiderweb (Accumark pattern)
Will accept barrel to 1.25 inches
-Nightforce Picatinny base 57
-Warne rings 35
-Bedrock Glass Bedding Kit 25

Total $1609

The stock took some work with a Dremel to open it up to accept the barrelled action, then bedded it.
I already had .300 Wby dies, use the sizer for full length case sizing.
Purchased a 6.5 neck size die.
Brass was formed from .257 Wby brass, one pass with the 6.5 spindle in the .300 die.
Spindle went back into the neck die.
Could I have gotten custom dies? Sure, but not for now.
Then fireform the case in the rifle.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.