300 gr Berger for 338-378

Jge73

Has anyone used a 300 gr. Berger touching the lands with a 338-378? I totally understand you would have to remove the bolt to extract a live round. If so any load data would be greatly appreciated

Touching the lands no, won't fit in the mag and with Wby freeborn not sure there is enough bullet to contact. That being said, great caliber choice, I have had zero issue .030 +\~ off the lands.

Has anyone used a 300 gr. Berger touching the lands with a 338-378? I totally understand you would have to remove the bolt to extract a live round. If so any load data would be greatly appreciated
Jge73,
The 338 Elite hunter is a Hybrid design so its very tolerant of jump. You might want to start at the maximum CBTO ( cartridge base to ogive ) measurement that still gives you 2 caliber lengths of the bullet left in the case neck and work back in .005 increments to try to find your seating depth accuracy node. Please do this using the lowest powder charge listed for the bullet/powder/cartridge combination you are testing. Once you have found the seating depth then work your load back up to find the velocity accuracy node.

I only used the serria 300 fr match kings in my 338-378 Weatherby accumarks .I used 98-102 grains of reloader 25 With awesome results .I seated them to just below magazine length so I could feed them .They feed and shot good around 2850 -2900 fps.I am fixing to try nosler custom completion 300 gr with wc867 powder it is suppose to get up to 3000 fps .Be ready for big recoil with the 300 gr bullets they kick .I shot everything in Alaska with 250 gr nosler partitions and 109 grs reloader 25 .It shot some ..25 inch at 100 three shoot groups abd under an inch at 300 yards .They are awesome guns.I annel the brass neck abd should every other shot !

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.