300 blackout from 222rem, ideas please

blomqvistjs

I have a sabatti 222rem
that has been shot about 100-300rounds
Do to high ammo cost i want to do somtging fun with it
222rem and 308 cost about the same so no need for the 222 anymore.

As the 300 blackout use the same rim size i was thinking it would be "easy" to build a 300 around the 222 action.
And i cant really get my 308 subsonic that easy.

Now to the 2 big questions.
Barrel length? (Thinking about 9-12")
Barrel twist? (Thinking about 1/7)

If you can think about another caliber that works good to suppressed subsonic and can take down deere and a small moose telle me but im really liking the idea of 300 as it uses same bullets as my 308 (mainly hunting woth 308 and shotgun in my family and i make my own ammo)

blomqvistjs,

It took me a minute to fully understand that you were not in the US. I just needed to read your profile to understand your comments about barrel length. We have to pay an extra tax of $200.00 for each barrel we use that is under 16" for a rifle.

I personally will never be without a .222 Rem. It's a terrific cartridge for varmint hunting as well as target shooting. However...

If you are intent on replacing it, I can suggest that you can use a 16" barrel for the .300 BLK in order to get the best from our powders that are available. Shorter barrels tend to be extremely wasteful and dirty to operate with a suppressor.

I'm using Vihta Vuori Tin Star in my .300 BLK rifles. Performance is very good with the heavier bullets. But bear in mind that I'm using the Berger 230 gr. Hybrid and not just your average hunting bullets. The shorter cup and core heavy hunting bullets do not take up enough space in the case to create the slow velocity necessary for sub-sonic performance (about 320 m/s at sea level).

But if you are determined to use shorter barrels and run a suppressor then you might consider running it 'wet'.

Regards.

I live in finland.. here comes some facts
Suppressors free 4 all
Breaks free for all.

registred part of a rifle or gun is the barrel.
No huntingrifels with more than 3 shots
And these last time ita har to get as the government calls them "military inspired weapons" we have no law but somehow they think these weapons with a stick mag and wich are a dark color is more deadly.

Somehow its leagal to build your own firearm for own use as long as you ger a permit/licens for the barrel

To get a semiauto ak is almost impossible but a savage 111 in 338lm is easy to get and has the looks of a traditional hunting weapon. Ar is more or less out of the question.
Somehow 338lm is prob. Less deadly than a 7.62x39 or 223.

Why i dont use 222 is because 1 round from the store cost about 0.70-0.85€ and a 308 round goes for 0.80-95€ a lapua magnum round 4.50-7€

No restriction of barrel length but of total rifle length (about 3feet i think)

And yeah our ammo that we buy is always registred to a database so they know how much i bought of what ammo.
And i can only buy ammo to guns i have or to once with lower power (lower power in finland is smaller bullet diameter)

We can only buy 2kg of powder at the time.
Each gun has its own permit and is approwed by police.
Permit about 80€ a piece and guns cost alot
Savage 111lrh 338lm 1700€

Back to my Q why is 16 barrel good for socom im only gping to shoot SUBSONIC ive heard of 9 and 10.5inch barrels.
And please tell me why i should go one way or another

My idea from beginning was about 11inch and 1/7

Isn't a short action rifle that is 3 feet long and has an 11 inch long barrel is going to have a very long length of pull? Or are you going to make length with a suppressor?

Isn't a short action rifle that is 3 feet long and has an 11 inch long barrel is going to have a very long length of pull? Or are you going to make length with a suppressor?

Yes the supressor will add to the overall length.
I will maby make abit longer barrel if needed to meet restrictions

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.