30 herrett

Goose71

I purchased A contender g1 pistol with 30 herrett super 14 early 80s vintage. Came with brass and dies. It's was a package deal I only wanted frame and grips So I was going to liquidate barrel dies and brass. Then I thought to load a few and the addiction began. I searched here and on specialty pistol forum looking for information. Loaded some Sierra 125s first groups were 1 1/2 at 50 yards. So I go a box of 120 gr Barnes TAC 120. With IMR4227/H4198 and cci 200 and at 50 yards I shot these 2 Groups. It's not a long ranger but I am addicted with a Bushnell 2-6 scope these groups turned out. Next is 100 yards.
A05501EE-65B8-4732-90CF-C30664558321.jpeg
90831378-1ECC-49FE-ACC8-A25B583A6FFE.jpeg

IMR 4198 has been my go to powder with a 10 inch barrel and shoots about the same at 50 yards. I have harvested mule deer and antelope between 85 and 185 yards with 125 grain Sierra hollow points. They worked at 30 Herrett velocities and have not yet required a second shot.

I bought the 30 Herrett when I had my FFL and lived in Alaska. Shot 3 bucks on Kodaik when I was a fish biologist there. Had a great cross draw holster from Buffalo Leather and the 14" bull barrel was way lighter than a rifle for climbing from sea level to get up on top where the buck bands hung out. Really enjoyed loading for it. Used 130 gr Speer bullets for it. It was later stolen when I shipped it from the anchorage airport post office as I only insured one of ten boxes. Internal heist. Have looked for another since and just found one at a recent gun show so I'm back in the game. Still have a second set of form and reloading dies by Redding. Only drawback was I stole all my 30-30 brass for it.

If you like the 30, then get the 357 Herrett also. I have both, 14", and have taken deer with both of them. The only whgitetail I have ever seen do a flip after a broadside shot was hit with the 357 Herrett at about 110 yards. DRT. They are both a lot of fun to shoot and to reload for.

I use a Hornady 130 grain spire point for the 30 Herrett, not sure they are still around. Have not bought bullets for it in over 35 years. The 357 Herrett I use a 158 grain Speer JHP. It is a real freight train for a hand cannon. Let me know if you need any reloading assistance with the 30 Herrett.

Great little cartridge, I had a Thompson in the .30 Herrett... many, many years ago, my pistol loved the old Winchester 125gr SP and the Speer 130gr HP In the winter snow I'd hunt jacks with pulled M62 A1 .30 cal tracers that I would then hand loaded, what a hoot, looked like I was shooting road flares at those big ears in those dark overcast sky's. I'll check around the shop and see if I can find some of my old loads. Have fun... Cheers.

I purchased A contender g1 pistol with 30 herrett super 14 early 80s vintage. Came with brass and dies. It's was a package deal I only wanted frame and grips So I was going to liquidate barrel dies and brass. Then I thought to load a few and the addiction began. I searched here and on specialty pistol forum looking for information. Loaded some Sierra 125s first groups were 1 1/2 at 50 yards. So I go a box of 120 gr Barnes TAC 120. With IMR4227/H4198 and cci 200 and at 50 yards I shot these 2 Groups. It's not a long ranger but I am addicted with a Bushnell 2-6 scope these groups turned out. Next is 100 yards. View attachment 370216View attachment 370217
Many years ago I was told that, "If it's not broke don't fix it," This one is not broke. Keep it as it is since the chances are whatever you replace it with will not shoot as well.

Better keep it! Your'e going to be surprised how good it'll shoot . I have a SSK 309 JDJ that will shoot 1"at 100 and 2'' group at 200yds. I had the trigger worked over and that made a big difference. When I was farming I carried it in the tractor and combine, took lots of coyotes over the years.

When I lived in Wyo. I hunted a lot with Contenders,Still have 2 6.5 JDJ ,a 375 JDJ and a 357 Harret . Really loved to stalk antelope and shoot them with those 6.5 s . I have made some very long shots with those pistols. It is a lot easier to crawl with them and makes stalking lots of fun. Dogs with a hollow point 357 were like throwing a red rag in the air.Now I live in N.M. and can't get a tag so my pistols have not been out of the safe in years. Really miss those hunts!