30-378 Load for a wolf? 208 gr A-Max.. Am I crazy?

Jeff, what is your best trim length and OAL with that load (for a starting point)? Is there a bulltet out there for this gun that would do the job out to 1000 without a massive hole? How does the 210 berger do on thin skinned / small animals with various hits?

Thanks all for your responses

I trim my 30-378 Brass to 2.900" and the OAL for this load is 3.800" which just fits in an Accumark mag box without binding. But check because this might be close and you want to be sure they don't bind durring feeding. If they do go to 3.790"

I recently took a coyote with one 210 Berger at 1008 yards. But it was fired from a 300 Win at 2995 fps. So you will have a bit more velocity from the 30-378. The exit was only about 1 1/2". I took my last Bull at 803 yds, also with the 300 win. complete pass through and a 2" ~ 3" exit.

As I stated before, we have taken loads of game with 210 Bergers. On an antelope or a yote under 800 if you hit bone you will most likely have a good sized exit hole. But for your wolf , they have long hair and easily sewn up.

Jeff gun)-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited:
I attempt to balance the caliber with the game pursued. I dont use a 22 Hornet on elk...nor do I use a 7MM Rem mag on ground squirrels. Besides...99.9% of shooters have no business try to make a clean kill at 800-900 yards to begin with.

I agree with your statement regarding percentages. LR hunters tend to use 'cannons' with high BC bullets to carry as much energy out long range for lethal hits. This is one place to help you learn how to do just that--long one-shot kills. Spend a little time here and you'll learn what is possible using the correct equipment, grooming your skills, knowledge and, most importantly of all, good judgement.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.