30-30 AI Based Wildcats Contender Any Info???

tred1956

Have been looking at 30-30 AI based wildcats for a custom Contender barrel. Looking at 25 or 22 caliber but, would appreciate any info on any caliber. Thanks in advance.
huh.gif

Safe shooting
Doug

Both Gary Reeder and Bullberry barrel works makes wildcats based on 30-30 cartridges. Hope this helps if not just ask again. We'll get it figured out

Kevin

TC made a small run of the 14" barrels in 30-30 AI. I also am one of those ppl who are looking for one of these barrels as it's one of the few that I don't have. If anyone has one that they'd like too part with........pls feel free too contact me at [email protected].

Last time I looked Midway had 14" 30-30AI 40* contender barrels in stock. I think they are around $250.00 .

Hi,
Hadn't been on in a while but life has been good. Have the following barrels based on 30/30:

Bullberry 7x30 Waters Improved
25 Bullberry
Bullberry 30/30 AI (should be here in acouple of weeks)

Not based on 30/30 but also snagged an OTT chambered in 223AI

Thanks for all responses.
Safe shooting
Doug

A little update. Midway 30-30AI T/C Contender barrel was on back order. On searching the web I found a lot of information on some good custom barrels that were about the same price as the T/C barrel. Match Grade Machine Custom Thompson Center Encore, Contender, and G2 barrels - MGM (MGM) They have a bunch of calibers made up on the 30-30 case. I ordered a Shilen SS 14" 30-30AI shipped for $285.00 . They have about a 6 week delivery. I should get my barrel in about a week and a half.

I was very temped to order their 6.5-30-30 but the cost of a set of dies turned me off. I got a set of Lee 30-30AI dies. I have never had any trouble out of the Lee dies myself.

If you are looking for something based on a 30/30 I recomend the 7/30 Waters.

It is a great cartrige for the contender and very effective on deer sizes game.

It is also very accurate at longer distance.

Just a thought.

J E CUSTOM

I have one already.......in both 10" & 14" barrels. I currently have over 60 barrels so my selection of getting barrels i don't have is dwindleling.

I have one already.......in both 10" & 14" barrels. I currently have over 60 barrels so my selection of getting barrels i don't have is dwindleling.

Wow.

You really do have it bad. (The Contender bug).

I sold most of mine and only kept a 7/30 waters and a 444 marlin barrels.

The 444 is a mean son of a gun but it puts every thing you shoot down hard.

J E CUSTOM

I messed up when i had my 444 made.....i magnaported it and now it holds the muzzle down but drives it straight back into your elbow. Not fun too shoot......i pretty much use my 45-70 instead for all my bigger game. I've taken a moose with it and this summer I get too take me a buffalo(bison). I can't wait.

Gt a 375 JDJ a 444 marlin necked to 375 in a 14 inch barrel fun to shoot especialy with 300gr slugs been waiting to hear if anyone has tried the 375 350gr sbthp match

tred,
My friend has a 6mm X 30-30 AI built by Mike Bellm in Oregon. It is one of those barrel and cartridge combo's that makes me drool with envy. Although quite happy with my .257 JDJ, I still always secretly wanted to swindle him out of it.....:)

I had Mike build me a .30 cal based on the .444 case, yet it uses standard .308 Win dies to bump the shoulder back and neck size. Coincidentally it is called the .308 Bellm. What a shooter!!

This guy rocks. I think he has forgotten more about Contenders than most will ever know.
My .02

http://bellmtcs.com/store/

(this site has a ton of helpful articles on it, even though it says "store")

Last edited:
I also have a 444 Marlin 14 inch and used it for whitetail in Ohio. Knocks em down with a THUDD.
I have one of SSK's 338 JDJ that shoots a 180 ballistic tip at 2550 fps. out of a 14 in. bbl.
I dropped an antelope at 429yds with it.
JD Jones has some good cartridges for the contender.
Mr

Tarey

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.