30-06 & Sierra 165 BTHP Gameking & coyote........

Catahoula

Idaho's fall bear hunt opened yesterday. My cousin & I were trying to call a bear when a coyote loped into the meadow we were watching. He stopped facing me head on at 75 yards. I was packing a Remington 700 chambered in 30-06 & shooting the Sierra 165 HP Gameking. The rifle will put 5 in an inch. Velocity is 2925 fps. I was on a bit of a hill shooting down at the coyote just a bit. The bullet hit dead center on the tip of the bottom jaw. Then it went into the throat with a fifty cent piece size entrance hole. The bullet then stopped somewhere in the body & never exited. Needless to say that coyote was one dead SOB. I could not believe that a 20 coyote would stop a 30 caliber bullet.
What do you guys think of that???
Thanks, Kirk

The bullet dumped every bit of its energy. Bullets do weird things at close ranges. I know it dose not sound right, but that's what happened. I've shot deer at almost point blank in the head with my 44 mag, and the bullet didn't go through. But at 50yds, it performs beautifully. Shot 2 deer in a row with 150gr soft points out of my 30/06 inside of 30yds that didn't go through. But trust me, they were dead. You might want to switch to a good bonded bullet.

Thanks for the response, Johnny! I think you are right about the bonded bullet suggestion. However I won't judge a bullet on just one kill. Need to get a few more critters down with the 165 & go from there.
Thanks, Kirk

I shot a nice 12pt whitetail at about 23yds one year with my 30/06. Federal factory 150gr soft points. The deer looked like a hand grenade went off in its chest. It died on impact. Found the bullet in the hide on the other side, what was left of it anyway. Through one hole shoulder away, it was ruined. Shot a decent 10pt the year before with Winchester 150gr soft points at 26yds. Same effect. If those deer would of been 100 or more yards, the performance would of been different. I know that from experience. I haven't shot my 30/06 in a few (8-10) years. I'm thinking about planning an elk hunt with it. I'm looking at the 165-168 Barnes TTSX, or an Accubond. Keep in mind, everybody has an opinion, and people will tell you all kinds of things. But when your target is laying dead at your feet, is hard to argue over performance. Yea, some bullets work better for certain things than others, but accuracy and dead critters is where I put my faith in bullet selection. And when an accurate bullet kills something in its tracks, I consider it a faith strengthening moment.

Last edited:
.......I think end result speaks volumes....

I agree to a point. It's also important to process what the experience has to teach.

1 round provides limited data, but how many experiences does it take to form an opinion? I've seen that particular bullet not penetrate as well as I would like on antelope. I've also been present when a variety of other bullets gave curious results.

The 30-06 is still a coyote killer with most any bullet.

The real question for me is given this experience, what would the outcome be, if instead of the coyote, the big boar you were hoping for had shown up? Or a big bull elk bugled in?

My experience with the .30 caliber bullets, regardless of construction, is 200 grains is where the good ones start.

Will this experience alter your practice?

It would be my guess, based on my forty some odd years of using an 06, that the bullet hitting the jaw at that close range, initiated an immediate expansion of the bullet. Do not judge that bullet on that shot. I have used Sierra 165 GK in the 30-06 for many years on my elk hunts. I have had very good success with that bullet. It has been my experience to find the bullet under the skin of the off side. Fifty yards to a measured 443 yards. My Dad killed his elk two years ago at 166 yards and it looked like the Texas chainsaw massacre!
Before I actually had a "varmint" rifle, I used my 06 on coyotes all the time. I was too lazy to load the light loads because my group with my deer/elk load shot such itty bitty bug hole groups. I never had any bullets stay in the coyote. Lengthwise, quartering or broadside. I also never had pelt that was worth saving! When I did finally start loading the 125 grain Sierra bullet I almost believed I would never have to buy a "varmint" rifle. The 125's shoot just like the 165's out of my ancient Model 70.
Don't give up on that bullet.

Congrats on smoking that coyote,great choice of bullet weight and brand that165 HP gameking is a tuffer bullet then their soft pointed gk bt bullet , Sierra also says it's a close match to their famous 168 grain match king. It's a fine choice for bear deer or elk just steer it where it needs to go , as noted above sierras 125 spz will do 3200 fps plus out of your 30-06 , fun bullet for sure but I'd only shoot antlope,yots n deer with that one ,good luck hunting, jjmp

Thanks for the reply & I will not give up on that bullet. I am a very experienced hunter who just turned 55 years old. You need around 10 kills with a particular bullet before you do much judging. That bullet also shoots bugholes in my rifle. I am hunting black bear, elk & deer with that round this fall. I'll let you know how it turns out.
Thanks, Kirk

P.S. I would'nt mind chatting on the phone about your experience with the Sierra 165. My # is 208-716-2432

Your welcome Kirk, I'm 58 young myself don't hunt as much as I'd like to but target shoot for personal fun as much as I can , been reloading for over 30 yrs and it's still great and a challenge but that's what makes it fun, yes I'll call you sometime soon ,good hunting,regards Jeff

Had a similar experience on a coyote, .308, 175 SMK at about 60 yards. Almost straight on, hit just inside the front shoulder from the front. We skinned it out and did some exploratory work and found a fully intact, perfectly mushroomed bullet in between her rear legs, in what I guess you would call the pelvis.
It was very very dead, but at the range I was surprised it didn't exit.

Shot a deer with the same rifle/ loads earlier that year, similar shot, quartering a bit more, exited behind the ribs on the off side, she ran about 60M.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.