30-06 for long range

chuck white

I'm new to long range shooting and Starting to experience the need for longer range shooting I have a Steven 200 in .223 on order and have a savage 111fxcp3 in 30-06 that I,m setting up for 500 to 800 yard and was wondering what factory ammo would be the best for now as I do not have reloading equipment so far but will in a near future and just want to practice in the mean time the twist is 1-10 and its 22 inch long the scope is a Burris fullfield II 3x9 - 40 balistiplex and had decent groups in .5 to .75 with anything I have tried so far but has a tendency of liking winchester so far.

any suggestion would be nice for factory bullets for now and also for future reloading thanks

Black Hills loads a 168gr Hornady match bullet for the 30-06 , I have had good luck with Black Hills ammo for all of my 308's and 223's

Federal also loads a 168gr Sierra Match King bulet in their Gold Medal Match line of ammo , the 308 GMM 168gr ammo is the standard that all other match ammo is compaired.

The Remington 180gr Premier Accutip (ballistic tip) is said to be a good load in alot of guns

Winchester Supreme 180gr Ballistip silver tip ammo is pretty good stuff.

It is gonna cost a bit for th inital test but the best bet woul be to buy one box of each and shoot some groups at say 100 300 and 600yds to see what ammo the gun likes the best and stick with that untill you can get to reloading.

All the ammo listed above is loaded with bullet that should give good results to 800yds prividing your gun likes it.

You might also consider Hornady Light Magnum ammo. It's a bit pricey,but can easily extend your range by 200-300 yrds. I use the 139gr SST Hornady ammo in my 7mag and its very accurate.

James Jones said exactly what I'd tell you. I have about 15 different boxes of factory ammo for 30-06. Different brands, bullets, weights, you get the idea.

I did that because I keep sighting in everyone elses 30-06 and finding their best factory load because they aren't handloaders.

Currently I have an encore with a 26" 30-06 barrel and it doesn't shoot the 168gr federal match ammo worth a darn. I have a Savage on order in 30-06 so I'll see what it can do. I have high expectations for any savage.

Take a look at the Federal Premium High Energy 180 gr Nosler Partition. I've shot that load for years with excellent results.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.