30-06 barrel length ? / Long range accuracy

MN Hunter

I'm thinking of having a 30-06 built. Is their any advantage in going with a 26" barrel rather than 24?

Looking to shoot out to the 500 to 600 yard range. Targets, coyotes, antelope.

Am I asking to much of this caliber? Should I be considering something else? I was thinking of a 7mm RUM but concerned about barrel life.

I'm thinking of having a 30-06 built. Is their any advantage in going with a 26" barrel rather than 24?

Looking to shoot out to the 500 to 600 yard range. Targets, coyotes, antelope.

Am I asking to much of this caliber? Should I be considering something else? I was thinking of a 7mm RUM but concerned about barrel life.
5-600 Yards is easy for an 06! Yes, go with the 26in the extra length will allow you to use (and have some expectation) slower burning powders in your load development. With out a doubt for more than a 100 years the 06 has been a proven preformer. The round everything else is compard to. There is at least a 100 times more load info for the 06 than almost any other round. It has been said the 308 will duplicate the 06, but this is not true, when using heavier bullet and shooting at long range, the extra power (powder cap) found in an 06 makes a difference. Regarding, how well does it shoot? Check the highpower records, for the last 100 years, the 06 was king for a long time. Was there and is there, more accurate rounds, yes. But do they give you the power, barrel life, low cost of brass etc the 06 does, no. The best all-around round ever made! I guess you can tell I love an old 06. Everybody should own a couple.

I love my .06 to. I got 2 questions here 1st I just cut and recrowned mine. It now it is 20 1/2" what would that do for my yardage? I live in MN 300 yards is hard to find were I hunt. 2nt when trying to figyer out the MOA? Right now 3 shots the 2 out side holes are 2 3/4"apart. All are a 1 1/2" off were I am aimming at a 100 yards ( it is not piller bedded YET) need more $$$$$$$$$$$

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.