.277 accubonds

ranger188

Guys I like the accubonds for my .270wsm or I used to... however I think quality control is going downhill..I have been fighting this for a while. But in the same lot of bullets I get a variance of .015 on bullet lengths. This makes it real hard to seat a bullet into a sweet spot, and even impossible to have repeatability when trying to confirm a good load.. When trying different seating depths.. I feel like I am chasing my tail..lol...need advice..and advice is welcome...thanks

When you load, do you measure OAL from base to tip for every round, or do you measure from base to ogive?

If you measure base to tip, you'll see variance.
Measure and load from base to ogive and your problem will go away. You won't care if the tips and OAL varies a bit in length as the distance from ogive to lands will be consistent for each load.

When you load, do you measure OAL from base to tip for every round, or do you measure from base to ogive?

If you measure base to tip, you'll see variance.
Measure and load from base to ogive and your problem will go away. You won't care if the tips and OAL varies a bit in length as the distance from ogive to lands will be consistent for each load.

What do you use to measure that??? I am somewhat new to this.. Excuse my ignorance.. I have been measuring over all length.. Base to tip.. How do you measure the ogive??? Thank you for the response...is this a special tool? Where can I get one?? This problem is eating my lunch and ******* me off..

What do you use to measure that??? I am somewhat new to this.. Excuse my ignorance.. I have been measuring over all length.. Base to tip.. How do you measure the ogive??? Thank you for the response...is this a special tool? Where can I get one?? This problem is eating my lunch and ******* me off..

Look at sinclair or midway or midsouthshootersupply.com. It's a OAL length gauge, but listen, once you set up your seater die your base to ogive length should remain consistent if the brass is prepped properly so as neck tension is near identical.

COAL is important to fit loads in the mag. base to ogive length is important when finding and keeping the sweet spot as you called it.

I use RCBS precision mic. It comes with 2 caps, one to measure the brass after sizing to make sure shoulder is bumped 1-2 thousandths, the other measures base to ogive length.

Yep.

I use the Hornady comparator and Redding micrometer seaters.

I generally load all rounds of one batch a bit long, then use my calipers + comparator to measure each cartridge at this point. I then note how far from my goal length the cartridge is, adjust the micrometer on the seater die, and finish seating the round. I then move on to the next one, but don't forget to back out the micrometer between each one.

Some bullets vary more than others, and you'll note this by the variance in the amount you need to adjust the micrometer for each round. I have found that some bullets are much more consistent than others.

Here is a copy of a post I made on another forum:

See photos below.

First, install comparator with the correct caliber insert on your calipers, and zero it out.
Next, note the two cartridges, one with a Sierra bullet and one with a Berger, both are 7mm Wby.
Now see how the distance to the ogive (CartridgeBaseToOgive or LengthToOgive) differ between them. This is just for examples so you see that different bullet shapes result in different CBTO/LTO measurements.

Your goal when loading is to the the CBTO/LTO measurement to be exactly the same for each round.

Attachments

• IMG_1923.JPG
    IMG_1923.JPG
    201.8 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_1926.JPG
    IMG_1926.JPG
    82.5 KB · Views: 84
  • IMG_1924.JPG
    IMG_1924.JPG
    159.3 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_1925.JPG
    IMG_1925.JPG
    130.4 KB · Views: 90
Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.