270wsm question

texas troy

Hey guy I have gotten into reloading in the past 6 month. I'm developing a load for my 270 wsm. I'm getting 3/4 ish groups using winchester brass, cci 250 primers, imr 7828 60 grs., nosler 140 gr ballistic tips, seating the bullets .005 off the lands. I have a 22" barrel ( measured from muzzle to lands aprox). My question is about my velocity. My crony is saying I'm running around 2980 does that sound right to yall? Nosler load data says that load is pushing 3160 out of 24" barrel. Nosler also says 60 gr is the max load but I'm not seeing any signs of pressure.

Your velocity sounds about right. A 2" shorter barrel will cost you a few fps for sure. If you have a factory rifle such as a Rem 700 it probably has a chamber that's a little "roomy". The larger chamber will take more powder to reach max pressure. My factory 270 WSM was using 2-3 grains more powder than published data before I saw pressure signs. After rebarreling I have a nice tight chamber, and I max out very close to published data.

I've never used 7828 but with 140 Accubonds I was hitting 3200 fps out of a 24" bbl using Magpro. I'm currently shooting 150 ballistic tips at 2990 with Retumbo and sub 1/2 moa accuracy.

I don't think you are that far off with your velocity with a 140 grain bullet out of a 22 inch barrel.

What I found interesting was I looked at the Hodgdon web site and they showed 61.0 grains of IMR-7828 as the starting load not the max., so without pressure signs it looks like you could move up some with your powder charge.

I am using IMR-7977 and getting 3140 ft/sec shooting 150 VLD out of my 24 inch Bartlein barreled Winchester Model 70.

Thanks guys. I'll keep working my way up then. Then gun is a cz model 03. I have never been able to find much info on the gun. From what I have found out about it it's based off a Dakota style action which is a mouser if I'm not mistaken. I know my chamber is .010 bigger than factory ammo from winchester. So your probably right on the pressure statemnt. And I seat the bullets .005 off the lands so that probably drops pressure some too

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.