.270 COAL start point

mmmooretx

My gun is a custom 700 action, .270 with a 26" barrel (already broken in with commercial ammo). I will be using primarily the Barnes TTSX 130 grain, Hornaday brass, IMR 4831 powder. Primer pockets have been unified, flash holes deburred, trimmed to length (2.53") and I am getting ready to start doing ladder testing to find the sweet spot. I will probably do some Bergers later, but Barnes for now. Starting load will probably be 53.5 gr. (mid point) and work up in 0.5 gr. increments to the max at 56.3 gr.. Recommendations for set back from land engagement as a start point would be appreciated. I do have a Leupold 6.5 - 20 X 50 mm scope with illuminated reticle on a 20 moa Pickitinny rail and will probably not be seriously hunting past 500 yards.
Update: OAL with the Hornaday Lock & Loaf is 2.742 with the Barnes TTSX 130 gr., gun chamber is standard SAMMI spec.
Any recommendations for starting points would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance
Mike

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.