270 Allen Mags @ Dog Town

bailey1474

<strong>SPONSOR</strong>
Well, Lerch and I finally got out to have some fun w/the AMs. We left about 5 AM as we had do drive about 90 miles.

We arrived at my buddies house as the sun was starting to crest the horizon. We went inside to get a key so we could drive right up to our vantage point. Once inside he proceeded to tell us that they had moved all but 3 of the steers that were on the dog town. I proceeded to assure him that we would not shoot his cattle.

He then told us that one of the steers was a chronic that had been ill for weeks. Both he and his dad are vets and they had done all that they could for the steer. They didn't know if it would make it through the night but if it did, it needed to be put down. He knew about our AMs and though it would be a great opportunity to test the terminal performance of this round w/these bullets!!!

Anyway, we drove out to dog town and proceeded to get setup. The place where we setup is overlooking a pond w/the town on the other side of it, so we are actually shooting over the water. Once setup, we noticed a black steer standing in one of the coves about 450 yds away. One look through the Swaro rangefinder and there was no doubt that this was the chronic.

It looked like a skeleton standing there, foaming @ the mouth. There would be no problem locating the shoulder blade. I wanted to put the poor thing down then but my buddy had told us to wait till he got out there, so we commenced to firing @ some PDs.

I had left my palm pilot w/Exbal on my desk @ work so I had to print out some drops from the biggameinfo site. I used 3200 fps and a BC of .740. Using these drops we quickly learned that they were off. We were hitting about 3 clicks high!!!! It looks as though the BC may be higher!!!

The action was a bit slow as it was kinda cloudy but the wind was negligble. Once we learned our drops, misses were rare. We managed to kill 15-20 btwn 350 and 500 yds and 3 @ 710 and 730 yds!!! It was almost too easy. The only issue we had was that the jackets on the 169.5s are a bit heavy to expand much on a PD. Most just zipped right through them but some did expand quite well. Some of the shots that we though were misses turned out to be hits after watching the video.

This brings us to the real test. My buddy pulled up and confirmed that the sad looking animal standing in the pond was indeed the chronic. With his permission I then ranged the beast, checked the wind, dialed my scope, and sent a WildCat on its 450 yd journey into the 500 lb steer's shoulder!!

The bullet struck the back edge of the shoulder blade (the wind just doesn't affect this **** bullet, I'd over adjusted) and the sickly beast collapsed!!! It's back legs went first and then the front. The high shoulder shot had worked to perfection. While I would have loved to try and recover a bullet or just get a look @ an exit wound, digging around inside of diseased bovine was not on my list of things to do that day. Despite the unknowns, I think this is still enough evidence to say that this combo is going be one helluva big game rifle!!!

Thanks Kirby and Richard, I can't wait to fire some full tilt loads out of this baby!!!! Any whitetail within 1000 yds is going to be in some serious, serious trouble!!!!

Pics will follow tomorrow /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif.

I also didn't know where to post this as it could have gone in either of three forums.

Have a good night everyone,
B.J.

Sounds like you guys had a good time and also sounds like the 270 AM's did their job as you knew they would. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

That big 169.5 Wildcat sounds like it was up to the task on the steer as well. It's too bad you couldn't have done some digging around for bullet performance but I don't blame you for not wanting to be hands on with the sick steer. Sounds like the high shoulder shot worked as planned. It's really neat to see the hind feet suck up before the body even drops. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Sounds like it just keeps getting better and better. Am looking forward to the pictures later.

Bill,

Great report. Glad they are working well for you. I think you both will be suprised when you put the throttle down and push the 3500 fps mark. Hits will become even easier for you and wind even less of an issue!!!

As you can imagine, developing a bullet to survice the stesses imposed by the 270 AM at launch requires a decent jacket thickness. While they are not perfect for varmint performance, they are amazing on yote size game and anything else up to, well, as you know 500 lbs.

I know for a fact any big whitetail that gets within a 1000 yard radius of you two will be in serious trouble.

Now I just have to get busy so you two are not the only ones having fun with the 270 Allen Magnums this big game season.

And for ss7mm, same goes for the 7mm AM!!!! Dan said barrels will be getting finished up very soon for that darling!!!

Can't wait to see the pics.

Kirby Allen(50)

I left my camera @ the house this morning so the pics are going to have to wait till tonight.

Some of them are borderline "R" rated. When they did expand, those bullets did alot of damage!!!

Kirby this is one mean mother,

I knew this gun and caliber were gonna be pretty mean before I got shooting them, but now I am completely amazed. On our video you can hear this awesome thud every time one of the big 169's hits the ground. Even better than this was that usually just before the ground impact thud their was a very distinct slap sound, and some flying pdogs.

I am utterly amazed at this caliber, it has far exceeded my expectations. One of the pdogs I hit at 375yds looks like a bomb went off in him.

The farthest shot of the day was mine at 730yds. My first shot landed just about 1" over the fat little dog and maybe 1" left. The wind was nearly 10mph right to left and all the bullet drifted was 1", amazing. On the second shot I just aimed at the dogs front right foot and let the big pill go. The bullet trace on the video was amazing and you could follow the big pill right on to the dog.

Bj will post the pics tonight or tommorrow. I hope you all have strong stomachs. Those 169's may not expand on most of the dogs but when they did open up, good God. Its impressive.

Thanks again Kirby, I couldn't be happieer

Thanks
Steve

Okay hear are the pics as promised, I know some of these are a little graphic so if the moderators pull them I am sorry.

these first few are just some pics of Bj shooting, apparently he can't take pics of anyone else shooting, and our set up.
Here is BJ shooting into the dogs across the pond. The steer was shot in the far right side of the pond.
1a927aaf.jpg

Here he is searching for dogs with the 270AM. I don't know why he wears those **** flip flops out shooting.
db78106b.jpg

This is clean up after 25 shots on the 270 AM. Only took about 10 minutes
e49a46ba.jpg

Here is a pic of our setup
7d86a477.jpg

This is the result of a 210gr Wildcat at a little over 400yds from a 300rum. The jackets on those bullets are paper thin.
101c863d.jpg

This is what happens when a 169.5gr 270 AM bullet going just under 3300fps hits you length wise at 375yds. OUCH
34b8ac14.jpg

This is the long shot of the day at 730yds. The impact sound was absoulutly sick, little sucker never knew what hit him. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
978817a8.jpg

And finally is the infamous steer, BJ's trophy. I really don't know what to say about it except the 270AM dropped him like a ton of bricks.
55a72668.jpg

It was a **** fun day and I really can't wait to test these Allen Mags out at some real long range stuff. I am not bragging on me or BJ but with these guns those 700 plus yard shots were a little to easy.

Take it easy
Steve

Thanks for the pics Lerch. Those 169.5's look to blow em up pretty well. The 210 out of the Rum really worked that PD over!! Good shooting guys!!

Great pics Steve! Thanks for posting them.

Looks like the 270 AM's do a number on anything you point them at. Hope your setup for deer works out and you get some long range shots on deer just like the PD's.

Don't worry about the pics. This is a hunting forum isn't it?

How long ago would it have been that you would have told someone they were crazy if they told you that you'd be saying 700 yard shots on something that small was a little too easy? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

You sure there were two of you shooting? I only see one guy having all of the fun. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Good luck on your upcoming hunt up north. Take lots of pictures.

Yea, he is kind of a @$$ for not ever pointing the camera in my direction /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

But then again I guess I did get the long shot of the day, as usual /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

It is amazing how quickly you can improve in this sport. Believe it or not in mid March of this year me and BJ went out to shot on targets and the extreme long range of 300yds. This was the first time me or him had really sat down and practiced at any extended ranges.

The next weekend we set up a gong at 515yds and all of the guys shooting with us said no one would hit it all day long. I hit it on the first shot and later went on to shot a 1.75" 3 shot group at 500yds.

So 6 months after this we have been shooting pdogs at over 1000 yds and I ready to try for 1500 and 2000yds. Sure is a hell of a lot of fun /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Steve

Dang you guy's are getting me worked up down here. Since seeing those pic's I can hardly wait to bust some hogs up seriously. With the hide those things have, they will definately let you know when you make contact. Heck those 115gr Partitions sound like a Nolan ryan fastball hitting a wet mit. I bet those 169's will sound like a melon opening up. LOL

Thanks for sharing the pic's.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.