264 win mag with 156gr berger elite hunters

cb4128

I have been using Retumbo in this rifle for the last 2 hunting seasons with good success, but finally got my hands on some VV N570 to try out with the 156 gr berger elite hunters.

I have a custom chamber that allows for a COAL of 3.480" with the 156gr bullets. I did a pressure test (never hit pressure signs, stopped at 71.0gr), found flat spots in velocity at 3,065fps and 3,137 fps and settled on the following load:

New Nosler brass
Federal 215m primer
70.3 gr VV N570
156gr berger elite
20 thousands off the lands or 3.460" COAL / 2.765" to ogive
3,137 fps avg (roughly 50 fps more than my Retumbo load, and more accurate)

*pictured is my 3 shot group at 100 yards with this load - front bipod, rear bag, includes cold bore shot
**also pictured is a coyote and the rifle from last year

Can't wait to stretch it out to confirm drops and try out the terminal performance on some animals in the coming weeks.

IMG_4756.jpg
IMG_1394.jpg

Mine has a 1-8" twist 29" long, what twist you running?
I would like to try the 156gr Berger myself, but availability here Down Under is hit and miss, so I don't get a good load then have no supply.

Cheers.

I should be getting my 264wm next week. Two 26" Bart's with 7.5 twists.
Had JGS build a reamer for the 156 eol. I can't wait to see what what it can do.

I'll probably use Retumbo instead of N-570 because of the high burn temp of the N-570.

Gotcha, Retumbo worked well for me too - I settled on 68.5gr, same components as my current load otherwise. That 156 has liked 20 thousands off in my gun over anything else.

I Shot that load last year during hunting season.

good luck!

Hunting update - this combo is an absolute hammer on anything I've shot with it.

5 deer and 2 coyotes - ranges from 125 yards to 383 yards.

Haven't had an animal take a step yet, all have been shot broadside right in the middle of the shoulder - not high shoulder shots. 4/5 deer had a quarter sized exit hole.

Never had more confidence in a deer rifle than this one right now.

I have been using Retumbo in this rifle for the last 2 hunting seasons with good success, but finally got my hands on some VV N570 to try out with the 156 gr berger elite hunters.

I have a custom chamber that allows for a COAL of 3.480" with the 156gr bullets. I did a pressure test (never hit pressure signs, stopped at 71.0gr), found flat spots in velocity at 3,065fps and 3,137 fps and settled on the following load:

New Nosler brass
Federal 215m primer
70.3 gr VV N570
156gr berger elite
20 thousands off the lands or 3.460" COAL / 2.765" to ogive
3,137 fps avg (roughly 50 fps more than my Retumbo load, and more accurate)

*pictured is my 3 shot group at 100 yards with this load - front bipod, rear bag, includes cold bore shot
**also pictured is a coyote and the rifle from last year

Can't wait to stretch it out to confirm drops and try out the terminal performance on some animals in the coming weeks.

View attachment 217306View attachment 217307
Now that's some real "magnum" performance! This seems like what the 264 win should be able to do and not what the load data and factory ammo says it can do. I've never understood what's missing when both the 264 win and 7mm rem barely do anything more than the .270 win does while burning that much more powder behind a very similar diameter bullet. I'm a .270 shooter so I'm not complaining, makes mine look good (I've heard it said and have said myself the .270 win is the cartridge that hasn't figured out it's not a magnum :) ). But this right here seems more fitting ballistics wise - I have no trouble getting a 150 to 2900 in a 22 inch barrel with my 270 - this seems like the right amount of performance increase. Congrats, happy shooting.

Very nice rifle, and great load combo. I wonder how a similar load would work in the new 6.5 RPM? Similar case capacity. I have 8 lbs of Retumbo on the way, and lots of H1000. Was going to use 140 Elite Hunters, might have to look at the 156's also.

Thanks for the report on the old Win Mag!

In my experience the last 2 years - at the speeds I'm running them, the 156 is by far the superior hunting bullet. I think at lower velocities the 140 is probably better suited - 3,000-3,100 fps

I should be getting my 264wm next week. Two 26" Bart's with 7.5 twists.
Had JGS build a reamer for the 156 eol. I can't wait to see what what it can do.

I'll probably use Retumbo instead of N-570 because of the high burn temp of the N-570.
Just curious, N570 has a slower burn rate than Retumbo. I have lower ES with 570, very tight groups, and no pressure signs w/ just under 3100 MV. I used Retumbo w/ the 135-140s w/ great results but the 156... 570 works great. Hunting cartridge not target for me. I'm running 68.2 out of 26" at a tad more OAL than cb4128.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.