• You must be a Supporting Member to create a listing in the Long Range Hunting Marketplace. To read all the rules, click here.

We offer multiple options to become a Supporting Member here.

SOLD/EXPIRED 260 Rem - RL-26 & 143 ELDX

Engineering101

I was messing around with QL to find a powder to use in my new custom barreled 260 Rem. I was surprised to see RL-26 on top of the velocity list and I figured that QL had lost its mind. No way a burn rate that slow would even work in the 260 Rem but... I had to see for myself so I put some data into QL to get a good starting load and went and shot a few rounds. Turns out they ran slightly faster than QL predicted. So I proceeded to load up a typical half grain spread with 3 rounds at each powder level. Groups got tighter as the powder quantity increased and there were consistent velocity increases with each jump in powder quantity. So I get it up to 2,800 fps and it shot the group in the attached target. Other groups on the way up ran 1.047", 0.766", and 0.609". I still can't believe that this even works but it actually works pretty good.

Attachments

• 260 Rem RL-26 001.jpg
    260 Rem RL-26 001.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 154
Thanks for your post. I just got a pound of RL26 and I had the ELDX bullets so I tried the combo in my .260. Looks like I hit the same sweet spot. Very happy with the results. Now the problem is finding more RL26.

I was in Sportsman's Warehouse a few weeks back and they had an 8 lb jug of RL-26 sitting on the shelf - a buddy of mine bought it - so it is out there to find. Good luck in tracking it down.

Omega1 - How did you figure out that RL-26 would even work in a 260 Rem? Do you use QL too? How much RL-26 did it take for you to get to 2,800 fps and what jump did your rifle like? Just curious if your load is similar or not.

By the way, to confirm that this load really is on a node, I zeroed the scope for this load and loaded up five more rounds. Four of them landed inside the 1 inch square (like you see on the target I posted) shooting again from 200 yards. Those four grouped 0.719 inches and a flyer made it 1.016". Even counting the flyer, this rifle is shooting way better than I can shoot it from a field rest so I'm happy with that and will be taking this load after some Whitetail this Fall.

I had no idea RL26 would be compatible with the .260. It was your post that got me interested in trying it. I'm glad you did the ground work for. 260 fans like myself!

Recent Posts