257 uld rbbt wildcats

oldfamily

Got to work on some loads with Richards 125's this weekend. All I can say is what a bullet. Was using Retumbo and Federal 215m and wow what a thing to behold. Will shoot at longer range and have pictures next weekend, hope it cools down a little between now and then. They have one heck of a smack factor coming from an stw. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif If they work as good as what I witnessed Saturday this is what I will be using come deer season and well anything I want to shoot. Also have some 100 grain wildcats that I will try also. Richard you make one hell of a bullet. Thanks oldfamily

Those are great bullets aren't they? I think there one of the best .257" bullets out there. I only got 1 box of them last year to try out of my 25-06. SHot 1 buck at 440 yards, and 2 coyotes. Couldn't ask for much better performance. I was only shooting them at 2950fps as well, and they still seemed to hit a lot harder then the other .257 bullets on rocks at ranges from 300-800 yards.

WHen Richard came down for a visit a couple weeks ago with his close friend and my new friend Rob. I fitted one of my 257 cal Lilja test barrels onto his old Rem 700 after I gave it a good accurizing job and chambered it to the 257 STW.

After we got all the work done we did a quick load development with these same 125 gr ULD RBBT. Loaded them to right at 3500 fps with Retumbo and got her where we wanted it at 100 yards and then drove up to my long range shooting areas.

Set out some milk jugs full of water at what measured 445 yards. Plugged all the data into Exbal and it reported a hold of 10" high at this range with the zero we were using.

Told Rob to hold about 3" over the top of the milk jug and at the shot, POOOOPPP!!!! Followed her up with a second one as well.

Then we turned to some 1/2 mile rock breaking. He just had a conventional duplex reticle but once he figured the hold over, he was breaking 10" rocks easily at that range with that bullet.

I will agree, for a conventional twist 25 cal, this bullet is EXTREMELY impressive.

I will not say it hits the hardest of any 25 cal I have seen because I have played with the 156 gr ULD RBBT ALOT and that bullet has to be seen to believe its actually a 25 cal bullet landing, BUT, for conventional weight 25 cal bullets, there is really nothing close to the 125 gr ULD RBBT in a round like the STW.

Keep us posted to future results!!

Kirby Allen(50)

I played around with the 125gr ULD's in my 25-06 before i decide to get rid of her to fund other projects. They are a amazing bullet and the down range thump they deliver is hard to belive. It is a **** shame I never got to thump a whitetail with them because I am sure the results would be astounding.

For the more standard 25cal rounds they are by far the best bullet made, I truly belive that

steve

Ok got some velocities to report, I tested the wildcat 100 grain bonded uld rbbt Richard had sent me. I also tested the 125's. I am still working on the 100 grain bullets, the 125's were going at 3555 with no pressure signs. I will be tinkering with this for some more shooting this weekend. The 100 grain bullets were going at 3809 with no signs of pressure. Once I get the best shooting load worked up I will report all the details. I would say I am at max with the 125's, just now will have an idea of what I am dealing with. All the loads tested today ranged from .5 to .80 in at 100 yards. I can't wait to see what these will do to a coyote. ok or a deer this fall. Oldfamily. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.