125g ULD RBBT

remingtonman_25_06

I got a box of these bullets today and could not wait to try them out. I loaded up 3 loads with H-4831. Using CCI BR-2, Win Brass, and OAL of 3.325" I shot them at 300 yards to see what they would do. I did not however get a chance to chrony them due to light issues. I will however, get the numbers in the morning. Anyways, I started at 46g and went to 47g and 48g. 46g was 1.5" with the last 2 touching. Not to bad for the first group tried. The next load, 47g shot a 2 inch group. Still not to bad. 48g Shot a 2.5 inch group. The group gradually got larger with more powder, so I will be trying IMR 7828 at 49g,50g, and 51g in the morning.

This is out of a WInchester model 70 classic in a 25-06. It has the trigger down to 2.5#, been bedded and floated. The scope is a Leupold vx2 6-18x40, Target.

Rem Man,

Are both the locking lugs on the bolt baring evenly?

The reason I ask is that generally when there is one lug that is floating or only slightly touching, the lower pressure loads shoot very well but as chamber pressure and bolt thrust increases you start getting more group variation. Generally its in the vertical plane but not always.

Just something to look at and rule out with this type of behavior.

Keep us posted!!

Kirby Allen(50)

I am using the same bullet in my savage 25-06 and I am getting good luck with 54gr of Reloader 22. Velocity is just shy of 3100fps and it is grouping around .5-.75 at 100yds. I am going to play with the seating depth more tonight and group it at 250-400yds.

I think this bullet is going to play hell on some long range pdogs and yote's.

Steve

Fifty
I honestly dont know if the lugs are both even. Being a factory rifle, I doubt it. How much would something like that cost? I would rather have a powder that shoots this bullet at a higher velocity. So I will keep trying.

Lerch
I have a little bit of RL-22. I might try some of that if these 7828 dont go as planned. I also have a little H-1000. What are you seating your bullets to? I am not exactly sure, I dont know have a stoney point gauge, but I just kept seating the bullet till it barely had a crush fit from kissin the lands. In my rifle, its at 3.325" I am hoping to get a quick load worked up before deer season. It starts saturday. Richard said the bullet should work from 300 yards and farther on my 200lb mule deer. Im going shooting every night and morning till I get around 3000fps with good accuracy. 46g with H-4831 I"m guessing is going to be pretty slow. I will find out real shorty though. I am going to go shoot now, so will keep ya'll posted

Mine are seated .020 into the lands.

I am also moly coating all of my bullets. I managed to shoot a 3" 3 shot group at 515yds this weekend with them and guessing the BC at .650 exbal gave me a perfect drop reading. I know this isn't an exact estimate of the BC in anyway but it is at least a start.

Good Luck with them
Steve

I wouldn't have believed a factory rifle would stabilize these bullets, but you are doing so. I am shooting the same basic set-up. Early 70's Model 70, floated and bedded with trigger tuned down to about 2#. It will consistanly put 3 87 gr Speers into .3xx, 85 gr NBT into .4xx, 75 gr Barnes X into .5 at 100 yds. I have shot it with 100 gr Partitions out to 500m with groups around 5 inchs. If I had a better/bigger scope I could bring that down 50%. Shooting a 3-9x-40 at 500m is not easy for me.

I have some 115 NBT to try; aside from the 120 gr WW factory ammo, this will be the largets bullet I've shot. Well, I did shoot a doe with some Speer GS factory ammo for kicks. Thanks for the info. I may have to test some myself.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.