250 Savage loads

No answers, eh? Well, my 250 Savage is long gone. It was a converted Arisaka I bought in Fairbanks. The guy I bought it from hunted caribou with it. Looking at my notes, I have the Speer 87 gr hollow point and 35gr of IMR 4064. You can use that reduced 5% as a starting point for the 80 gr bullet.

some powders I have been using for a couple are H 414 & rl 17 with 100 & 115 gr bullets the 115 gr bergers are pretty accurate with rl 17,

I have been loading 250 Savage for years. It is one of my favorite calibers to shoot. I have started shooting Barnes 80 gr TTSX in the last couple years and I love them.

Powders I have tried are Big Game and Hybrid 100V. Load data was from Barnes website. Big Game was the most accurate in my rifle. I was shooting middle of the road loads and hit 3000 plus fps easily. Accuracy for 3 shots hovered right at 3/8", 5 shots were well under an inch.

One "quirk" I noticed with Barnes is seating depth. It does make a big difference and is worth testing different lengths.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.