22-250 savage lrpv loads

nddodd

Has anyone here had any success with the 75gr amax bullets in the 22-250 lrpv in the 9 twist. If so what powder did you use and primers. I know they claim you need a 8 twist just curious if anyone here has had good luck with a 9 twist.

Thanks
Nathan

I read an older post from around "08" and that gentleman said he had a rifle like mine and he shot 37.5 gr of H-4831sc and rem primers and got great accuracy out of it, has anyone else tried this load.

Thanks
Nathan

Might give H414 a try with the 75 Amaxes. My 8 twist likes 36.5 grains but work up from 34 grains.

I had really good results with 75gr. AMAX's using Rem 9 1/2 primers. The rifle shot very with anywhere from 37.5 to 40.0 grs. H4831SC. I had to use an arrow shaft (22" or so) as a drop tube as I gently shook the powder so that I could get it all in.
Semper Fi

I had really good results with 75gr. AMAX's using Rem 9 1/2 primers. The rifle shot very with anywhere from 37.5 to 40.0 grs. H4831SC. I had to use an arrow shaft (22" or so) as a drop tube as I gently shook the powder so that I could get it all in.
Semper Fi

Thanks so much for your info if you don't mind me asking what was your seating depth on that load and do you think regular large fed primer would work.

Thanks for your time and everyone elses as well.
Nathan

Normally I try .010 into the lands and then back off .005 to see what it likes. These ended up .005 into the lands. I remember when working up loads for the rifle it didn't take long. I found a loaded round & it's OAL to the tip of the bullet 2.612. I know not the best way but that's all I could find. I normally measure OAL off the ogive but a friend has borrowed the .22 caliber bushing. I did back the rounds up so that there were some that were .040 off the lands.
Semper Fi

Last edited:
Normally I try .010 into the lands and then back off .005 to see what it likes. These ended up .005 into the lands. I remember when working up loads for the rifle it didn't take long. I found a loaded round & it's OAL to the tip of the bullet 2.612. I know not the best way but that's all I could find. I normally measure OAL off the ogive but a friend has borrowed the .22 caliber bushing. I did back the rounds up so that there were some that were .040 off the lands.
Semper Fi

Again I just want to say thanks I will try and load some up this weekend and see how they do, I'll let yall know how everything goes.

Thanks
Nathan

Hey guys just got done shooting my new 22-250 lrpv with a 9twist and 75gr amaxs. It seems to love Varget loaded up 33.5 gr of it and shot 4 into less than .5 at 150 yards. This however is bad news becouse all i have left is about 60 to 70 grains left and thats all i have. Seems to me that varget is about like primers in these parts cant find any anywhere. If anyone has any varget that they would part with if it isnt against any laws i would be more than happy to buy some off of yall. I know i would have to pay the hazard fee that wouldnt be a problem at all.

Thanks guys
Nathan.

Hey guys got some good news found some varget from a buddy of mine, he was kind enough to let me buy a pound off of him that should last me awhile hopefully there will be some more to be had by the time i run out. Here is a pic of my last group of three i shot at 250 this afternoon.

Thanks for the powder Danny.

1247534167.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.