• You must be a Supporting Member to create a listing in the Long Range Hunting Marketplace. To read all the rules, click here.

We offer multiple options to become a Supporting Member here.

25-06 AI brass

Nubba0681

looking for loaded ammo or brass.
If you don't have any but have experience resizing other brass I'm up for learning what's worked best for you. All pointers and info greatly appreciated.

Since you're not getting any replies, I'll offer what I can.

I would just buy some 25-06 ammo, and fire it in the 25-06AI rifle. Then the brass will be formed to your chamber.

Or alternately, load up some standard 25-06 brass with any bullets and an appropriate starting load, and fire them in your rifle to fireform them to your AI chamber.

I had one. Blank fireforming works fine with new brass. Can get 98% or better formation with nice sharp shoulder.
Fast powder like Unique, Clays, etc.
Start at about 12 grains and work up till you get a nice sharp shoulder.
Top with an inert filler like cream of wheat cereal. A plug of tissue in the neck holds it in.

Since you're not getting any replies, I'll offer what I can.

I would just buy some 25-06 ammo, and fire it in the 25-06AI rifle. Then the brass will be formed to your chamber.

Or alternately, load up some standard 25-06 brass with any bullets and an appropriate starting load, and fire them in your rifle to fireform them to your AI chamber.

I would suggest getting the heaviest bullet and use a kinetic bullet puller to PARTIALLY pull the bullet until it is too long to fit in the chamber then re-seat until it just snugs into the lands. One of the keys to getting a sharp shoulder is to make sure that the cartridge is not a sloppy fit in the chamber when the bolt is closed.

Buy .25-06 ammo. Any .25-06 retail ammo. Shoot it in an .25-06 Ackley Improved chamber. You now have .25-06 AI brass. If you want to roll your own and get to shoot actual bullets, any ol .25-06 brass you want to use and load up a decently snappy load as normal. I don't like to run top loads for my forming loads. Usually I'll cut ~4-5 grains off the max and I've had good results with that. If you do it that way, neck size only and leave a little of the neck unsized. You'll get a good centering that way as the brass will be snugger in the chamber not being full length resized and in the neck it'll be centered as well as it could be. I don't like jamming bullets as described above. Too many unexpectely high pressure situations.

Buy .25-06 ammo. Any .25-06 retail ammo. Shoot it in an .25-06 Ackley Improved chamber. You now have .25-06 AI brass. If you want to roll your own and get to shoot actual bullets, any ol .25-06 brass you want to use and load up a decently snappy load as normal. I don't like to run top loads for my forming loads. Usually I'll cut ~4-5 grains off the max and I've had good results with that. If you do it that way, neck size only and leave a little of the neck unsized. You'll get a good centering that way as the brass will be snugger in the chamber not being full length resized and in the neck it'll be centered as well as it could be. I don't like jamming bullets as described above. Too many unexpectely high pressure situations.
My thoughts exactly.
Tried this before in my 260 ackley and got nothing but split cases.

I appreciate all the information, keep it coming back