25-06 ackley fire forming loads?

JMac80

Hello all, new member on the forum, long time reader and lurker. I'm putting together a fast twist 25-06 ackley improved, and was wondering if anybody would be willing to share what loads they used for fire forming cases? Thanks!

RCC have some in stock , spendy at 6 bucks a pc but ready to load n shoot

9F90016E-A007-47C2-9FE0-1A57B4B85B02.jpeg

It's also cheaper to do a DIY moose hunt instead of paying a guiding operation $10-$15 grand ...... but every year guides are booked solid ....

same thing here, one fella will freak at the cost & another will buy some just to save the time & effort, load up & go kill something, & the brass always sells out ...

is there an advantage on brass life to start with one intentionally manufactured to AI dimensions?

is there an advantage on brass life to start with one intentionally manufactured to AI dimensions?

The simple answer is that it will depend upon the quality of the brass used in the original manufacturing. Lesser quality brass matters since the number of reloads is fewer right from the start. I've had some lesser quality brass last 3 reloads and some Peterson last 10-12 reloads.

Nosler makes the .280 AI brass but it's not the quality of Peterson, Alpha, Lapua, etc. Nosler brass has never lasted for the number of reloads that the others have.

RCC brass is turned on a CNC lathe and has shown remarkable resiliency for multiple reloads in excess of the normal number usually associated with even the higher quality brass manufacturers. I just find it hard to get around paying $300/50 pieces of brass no matter how many times they figure I can reload it. Psychological when the numbers can work out in my favor even at the higher prices.

I used Norma, Remington and Winchester for forming 25-06 AI and 6.5-06 AI brass cases. The Norma only lasted as long as the other two even those it was much more expensive. But I could find it as opposed to not finding any Remington or Winchester in the last couple of years.

Enjoy!

:)

The simple answer is that it will depend upon the quality of the brass used in the original manufacturing. Lesser quality brass matters since the number of reloads is fewer right from the start. I've had some lesser quality brass last 3 reloads and some Peterson last 10-12 reloads.

Nosler makes the .280 AI brass but it's not the quality of Peterson, Alpha, Lapua, etc. Nosler brass has never lasted for the number of reloads that the others have.

RCC brass is turned on a CNC lathe and has shown remarkable resiliency for multiple reloads in excess of the normal number usually associated with even the higher quality brass manufacturers. I just find it hard to get around paying $300/50 pieces of brass no matter how many times they figure I can reload it. Psychological when the numbers can work out in my favor even at the higher prices.

I used Norma, Remington and Winchester for forming 25-06 AI and 6.5-06 AI brass cases. The Norma only lasted as long as the other two even those it was much more expensive. But I could find it as opposed to not finding any Remington or Winchester in the last couple of years.

Enjoy!

Great info! Thankyou for the reply.

Enjoy!

This is a very helpful reply to the RCC question and brass life in general. Im still not seeing the return on the price even with lesser quality brass. Even if I only got 3 reloads with lesser quality brass id still get almost 3 times the quantity of the RCC brass for the same money. My guess is the RCC brass would probably greatly excel for competition shooting being CNC turned I imagine the necks being very consistent.

I have very limited experience with new Nosler brass that left me skeptical of using it. Unfortunately right now Nosler brass is all I can find for my 25-06 while Im waiting on a new AI barrel so I ordered some and have plenty of new Nosler brass to work with but my only attempt with them made me switch to some Hornady factory ammo I spent that I happened to save the brass. I hope the Nosler brass fireforms to AI well and lasts more than 3 reloads but I will keep my eye out for other brass.

Hello all, new member on the forum, long time reader and lurker. I'm putting together a fast twist 25-06 ackley improved, and was wondering if anybody would be willing to share what loads they used for fire forming cases? Thanks!
I use a pistol powder, soething like Unique. Start with 1/2 teaspoon. About 2 tablespoons of corn meal and cover with a little cotton.
Keep rifle tipped up a little.
Yes, ear plugs are required.