The .25-06 and .25-06 Improved By J.C. Munnell

It's been a while since I've been on this site, but now that I'm back, I thought I'd weigh in on one of the earlier questions about factory loads. I hunt with a .25-06 and I don't reload so I'm at the mercy of the factory loads available. I know there are many on here who have forgotten more than I will ever know about ballistics - and many reload - so I'll defer to those who know a lot more than me, but from my own experience with this caliber, I've shot just about all brands of factory loads in different grain bullets. I've found that the Nosler Custom, 100gr partition, hits as hard as any of the heavier ballistic tipped rounds I've shot, and drops deer dead in their tracks. The brass is much more uniform and defect free than other factory rounds, and I would not hesitate to take down any four legged game in Texas with it.

I like these bullets so much that every time I see a box on a shelf, I buy them (ask my wife, she'll tell you that it's borderline obsession). From the ballistics data that I've seen it measures well with other loads and I certainly feel confident when I have one in the chamber. I'm not sure this helps with the question, but I always enjoy babbling on about this caliber and this round.

Last edited:
I just joined the sight, have lurked and learned for awhile but couldnt stay away from this post. My dad was always a huge fan of the 25-06 so I guess that is why it was my first rifle, and that rifle was a Ruger M77 with what he always called a semi-bull barrel. Growing up in Wyoming and Montana I have killed just about everything that can be killed in those states barring a Grizzly. I probably have shot a couple dozen elk, and countless mule deer with the gun just to get started. In the 80s we would get damage permits from the state and be able to reduce herds off of the hay fields on the ranch. Did I say I have shot ALOT of animals with that gun. Over the years I moved on to the BigBoy cartridges, but my trusty 25 was always there as a "backup"! I dont really know how far my longest shot is with it, but I promise you I have dropped mule deer way past 600 yards with it. It still has the same Luepold 4-12 that it always has and never really has been tinkered with. For years and years my uncle loaded 120grain nosler partitions with powder crammed in for me I imagine it was IMR4831, for me. And later on when I started reloading I messed around with alot of combos and got good results with alot of different loads. These days Im shooting Retumbo and 110 Accubonds out of the ole girl and she tears it up with them. My boy will turn 12 this year so It is time to probably pass her along to him. So I been throwing around the idea of have another one custom built probably from the boys at Cooper, not sure which one model yet. Love the caliber and dont kid yourself it is a potent big game rifle that will do just fine with elk at reasonable yardage. It is an absolute thumper on everything smaller. Great article and great read. Thanks.

Hey lads, I am new to this forum so please bare with me. I have a great old Tikka m65 that I have rebarreled to 25-05 standard chambering in a 26inch No. 4 profile barrel and found that one of the best powders for this cal. especially with at least 26inch barrel is the Reloader 25. This powder seems to be made for this cartdidge. I am always carefull not to give out too many specifics concerning loads but I have found that using the reloader load data I have been able to achieve some great results with this powder and the Sierra 117 BTGK and the 100 BTGK. Using the Sierra 117 GK, velocity is averaging around 3300 fps and the 100 GK they have averaged at around 3500fps so within thier correct applications, these loads are incredibly flat shooting and really show how good this cartridge can be for medium game at extended range. I have yet to try the 115 balistic tip and have heared great things so if anyone has had any more input into how the pills perform at long range I would love to hear it.

Hey lads, I am new to this forum so please bare with me. I have a great old Tikka m65 that I have rebarreled to 25-05 standard chambering in a 26inch No. 4 profile barrel and found that one of the best powders for this cal. especially with at least 26inch barrel is the Reloader 25. This powder seems to be made for this cartdidge. I am always carefull not to give out too many specifics concerning loads but I have found that using the reloader load data I have been able to achieve some great results with this powder and the Sierra 117 BTGK and the 100 BTGK. Using the Sierra 117 GK, velocity is averaging around 3300 fps and the 100 GK they have averaged at around 3500fps so within thier correct applications, these loads are incredibly flat shooting and really show how good this cartridge can be for medium game at extended range. I have yet to try the 115 balistic tip and have heared great things so if anyone has had any more input into how the pills perform at long range I would love to hear it.

I have an old Ruger M77 with medium heavy barrel chambered in 25-06. It has remained in my safe while others have passed on through because of the excellent ballistics of the round and accuracy of the rifle.

The best load and best shooting bullet I have found for this rifle cartridge is the Speer 120 gr BT (virtually identical to the Sierra GK). RL-25, IMR-7828, and IMR 4350 have produced velocities as you have described.

I have tried the nosler bullets and other "prettier" polymer tipped bullets but nothing groups like the Speer and Sierras. Mine groups slightly under 1 MOA and those bullets have been deadly on Mulies, White Tail, antelope, hogs, predators, varmints, and everything else shot from coast to coast. As of the last couple of years, I have used Berger bullets in my tactical and precision hunting rifles (308, 7mm Rem Mag, 243 Ackley). Excellent groups and ballistics with these bullets. Deadly on game. I suspect they will perform as well in the 25-06.

The only draw back I have encountered with the 25-06 is that the necks start to split after 3 or 4 firings. Of course I still have the original cheap brass that I started with. FL sized. No telling what this gun could do with some good quality brass that was properly worked and necked sized only. I suspect this gun has a loose chamber and neck.

Great cartridge and often overlooked IMO.

Thanks for reply Woolecox, I have had pretty good results with the Speer projectiles but the Sierra's edge ahead with accuracy in my Tikka. The Berger projectiles have also grabbed my attention but are not always available here in Australia...at least in tha calibres I shoot so I find myself going back to what is consistantly on the shelf. Still... I Think I will be giving them a try.

I had the same problem with case necks splitting when I used Rem brass that was once fired and had a couple of new virgin brass batches do the same so I switched to Win brass and so far no hassles. I now full length size all my 25-06 brass as my brother has one as well and we are able to use the same loads so in a pinch can swap ammo. I also have not noticed any real difference in the accuracy between the two methods in my rifle. I have looked at the Nosler Custom brass but they want a lot of money for the cases in Australia so I am taking the " it aint broke...so dont fix it " approach.

Cheers good chatting with you.gun)

I just joined the sight, have lurked and learned for awhile but couldnt stay away from this post. My dad was always a huge fan of the 25-06 so I guess that is why it was my first rifle, and that rifle was a Ruger M77 with what he always called a semi-bull barrel. Growing up in Wyoming and Montana I have killed just about everything that can be killed in those states barring a Grizzly. I probably have shot a couple dozen elk, and countless mule deer with the gun just to get started. In the 80s we would get damage permits from the state and be able to reduce herds off of the hay fields on the ranch. Did I say I have shot ALOT of animals with that gun. Over the years I moved on to the BigBoy cartridges, but my trusty 25 was always there as a "backup"! I dont really know how far my longest shot is with it, but I promise you I have dropped mule deer way past 600 yards with it. It still has the same Luepold 4-12 that it always has and never really has been tinkered with. For years and years my uncle loaded 120grain nosler partitions with powder crammed in for me I imagine it was IMR4831, for me. And later on when I started reloading I messed around with alot of combos and got good results with alot of different loads. These days Im shooting Retumbo and 110 Accubonds out of the ole girl and she tears it up with them. My boy will turn 12 this year so It is time to probably pass her along to him. So I been throwing around the idea of have another one custom built probably from the boys at Cooper, not sure which one model yet. Love the caliber and dont kid yourself it is a potent big game rifle that will do just fine with elk at reasonable yardage. It is an absolute thumper on everything smaller. Great article and great read. Thanks.

I have read several posts about people not recommending the .25-06 for elk. On the other hand, I've read a few articles of people using the .25-06 for bagging many elk, both mature bulls and cows. I currently shoot the .25-06 for deer but I'm in the market for an "elk gun". Fortunately for me, after my wife asked the question, the guy at my local gun shop said he does not recommend the .25-06 for elk. He said it's too small. :) Now I have an excuse to get another rifle for elk and above. So I will keep telling my wife that my Savage 110FP in .25-06 is too small for elk while I try to figure out what caliber my next gun will be...

I tend to agree with your gun shop guy. I would look for any excuse to purchase another project. I am also lucky with my wife who also shoots and hunts with me so there is generally not too many hassles when I NEED a new rifle (unless there are big bills to pay). I have just purchased a new model 70 extreme in 7mm rem mag so that will be my do all rifle for the bigger stuff like sambar and big hogs. The extra bullet weight will be better for the larger game at ranges beyond 300 yards. I havent picked it up yet so i havent loaded for it yet. I am looking at the Hornady 162gn SST for open country and the Barnes 150gn TTSX or TSX for the scrub. If anyone out there has used these projectiles in the 7mm rem mag I would love to hear about there performance.

I tend to agree with your gun shop guy. I would look for any excuse to purchase another project. I am also lucky with my wife who also shoots and hunts with me so there is generally not too many hassles when I NEED a new rifle (unless there are big bills to pay). I have just purchased a new model 70 extreme in 7mm rem mag so that will be my do all rifle for the bigger stuff like sambar and big hogs. The extra bullet weight will be better for the larger game at ranges beyond 300 yards. I havent picked it up yet so i havent loaded for it yet. I am looking at the Hornady 162gn SST for open country and the Barnes 150gn TTSX or TSX for the scrub. If anyone out there has used these projectiles in the 7mm rem mag I would love to hear about there performance.gun)

I tend to agree with your gun shop guy. I would look for any excuse to purchase another project. I am also lucky with my wife who also shoots and hunts with me so there is generally not too many hassles when I NEED a new rifle (unless there are big bills to pay). I have just purchased a new model 70 extreme in 7mm rem mag so that will be my do all rifle for the bigger stuff like sambar and big hogs. The extra bullet weight will be better for the larger game at ranges beyond 300 yards. I havent picked it up yet so i havent loaded for it yet. I am looking at the Hornady 162gn SST for open country and the Barnes 150gn TTSX or TSX for the scrub. If anyone out there has used these projectiles in the 7mm rem mag I would love to hear about there performance.gun)

I have used those bullets in my Shilen 7mm Rem Mag Custom. They are certainly ok and will get the job done. But I got much better accuracy, ballistics, and down range performance on game with the Berger 168 grain Hunter. I am pushing these out of a 26" barrel at 3024 fps, and they group 5 shots at .5".

This gun has a Badger Ordnance detachable box magazine and bottom metal. (same as the 300 Win Mag). This lets me seat the bullets out to the lands and still function through the magazine.

But I have a Tactical Precision Rifles 308 that will not let me seat Berger's out to the lands. It actually groups (3 shots) under .25". I have looked and tried for decades to find a hunting bullet that will shoot close to a match bullet. Berger is it.

Happy shooting.

I have been a 25-06 shooter since the late 50's when it was a wildcat as no factory rifle existed for it. It was called a .25 Neider. Built one on a 03 Springfield action with an Apex match barrel. Had to make all my brass from 30-06 & .270 cases. Shot really well. When I was drafted and went in the Army and needed some $$$, I sold it. I bought another one in a old model tang safety Ruger M77 in 1977. I still have it and it still shoots sub minute groups. I guess I have shot over 50 deer and probably about 40 antelope with it...it is lethal. I really like the Sierra 117 gr BT and that is all I use. I have a Leupold VXIII 4 x 14 mounted on it. Doubt if I'll ever replace it as it just keeps shootin!!! Don't need anything more....dead is dead!

I have been shooting a Smith & Wesson 1500 25-06 (Mfg. by Howa) for years. The Nosler 120gr. in front of ?? grs. of H4831 is deadly accurate in my rifle. The load I use is beyond recommended, that is why the ?? for saftey sake. It works in my rifle, perhaps not yours.

GT

It's good to read the stories from some of you guys who have been using the .25-06 for decades, and have taken truckloads of game.

Thanks for sharing your knowlege!

I think the 25-06 may be the most underrated caliber for deer sized game and I'll never part with my Ruger! Well some day I will, but I won't care then, LOL!

Is nobody using norma brass?

I was hoping that my gun (sako 85, 25.06AI lothar walter barrel) would shoot the 90gr sierrra blitz king. It has impressive BC for a 90gr varmint bullet in .257 but unfortunately it does not like it.
I used VV N560 to get the speed I wanted or about +3800fps. Does anybody shoot this bullet with good speed and accuracy?

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.