.244 Remington 722 1-12 twist

hoghound

My cousin has been wanting my 220 swift for quite sometime so I ask him what he had to trade for it. He pulled out a 244 Rem. 722 with a 26" 1-12 twist. The barrel seems to still be in good shape because it shoots the 70gr. pills at 3700 with 50grs. of IMR-4831 in a 1 hole group.

I wanted a round that I could use both for varmits and deer. I was thinking of using the 70-75 grainers for yotes and such and the 80gr. Berger, or Richard's 80gr. j4 for deer and hogs. Berger says the 69gr. and the 80gr. will stabilze these two bullets in a 12 twist.

Need some help from the audience (Kiethcandler).

Thanks Tim

[ QUOTE ]
My cousin has been wanting my 220 swift for quite sometime so I ask him what he had to trade for it. He pulled out a 244 Rem. 722 with a 26" 1-12 twist. The barrel seems to still be in good shape because it shoots the 70gr. pills at 3700 with 50grs. of IMR-4831 in a 1 hole group.

I wanted a round that I could use both for varmits and deer. I was thinking of using the 70-75 grainers for yotes and such and the 80gr. Berger, or Richard's 80gr. j4 for deer and hogs. Berger says the 69gr. and the 80gr. will stabilze these two bullets in a 12 twist.

Need some help from the audience (Kiethcandler).

Thanks Tim

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds like a good trade - I would do it.

I don't have any experience with the .244 (6 mm) Remington, but I do with a .243 Win - same bullet. For deer and hogs, I would prefer a 95 or 100 gr bullet. I have killed deer with an 87 gr bullet, but would be hesitant to go much lighter. Most current .243/6mm barrels are a 1-in-9 or 9.25 twist. The 1-in-12 barrel will stabilize an 80 gr bullet, but if you go with a heavier bullet, I would expect some problems. Hopefully someone else will chime in here for a more definite answer. Good luck.

Like the post above,I also used a 243 several seasons for deer.I shot Hornady's 75 gr HP with H450 (no longer available).As I recall,I was shooting the 75s a little above 3200 fps.The farthest shot I took with the gun was about 200 yds,all the deer were shot in the chest cavity and turned everything forward of the diaphram to jello.I never had an exit hole,even on the close ones (less than 100 yds.)I cant remember any of them taking more than a couple of steps after the shot.Just my experience.
Im having a 6mmAI built this coming year and am using the 1-12 twist primarily for 70-80 gr bullets.Its more of a varmint gun but I wouldnt hesitate to use it on deer out to 300 yds or so with the right bullet.

My rebarreled 6mm Remington Mauser has a 10 twist Shilen that shoots the 87 grain V-Max at 3300 fps. The load consist of 43.5 grain of IMR 4350 on Remington Brass and ignited by Federal 210 Match primer. I believed with 12 twist barrel, the optimum bullet weight for your rifle would be 80 grain or less. The 55 grain bullet on this caliber is probably even better. It would be very devastating on varmints, although I haven't tried them myself /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

You have a couple of options. First, Hornady makes a standard 70g spitzer, which would obviously make a great substitute for the 70g Ballistic Tip.

Second, the 12 twist will stabalize the Sierra 100g Semi point. Sierra no longer makes the 100g Semi point, but if you watch ebay, you will find them from time to time. When you see them on ebay, put a $30 bid on the box and you will win it.

Your 12 twist will also stabalize the Sierra 85g spt and the 85g BTHP.

With these lighter bullets, you just have to be carful to place your shots behind the shoulder and you will have a very dead deer.

Good luck!

how about the nosler 85 gr. partition? will it stabilise in a 12 twist?
I've used hornady 87 gr spire points and hollow points for deer here in wv but they do run quite small.
JS

I used the Speer 85 gr BT for many years on small deer shooting out of a 1-10 twist 240 Wby. BC is very good for the weight range and good expansion and always an exit hole. All (or most) of the deer shot were under 200 yds.

Buff, that's really the bullet I was wanting to shoot and that one alone. Looks like it has the best bc but my local gun dealer was out of them. I was shooting the 75v-max this weekend getting 3730-3738 with 50grs. of H-4350 lit with wlr primers. 2 would go in 1 hole then the 3rd would go somewhere else. Could be the scope because it would not track correctly. What was your recipe for this bullet.

Thanks Tim

Ive been shooting deer in Texas(little deer) with a 223 for years out to 300 yrds. A 55 grn BalTip hornady last year at 180 jellied lungs and left holes the size of nickles in them as well, did not exit the other side but jacket was lying against skin. A 244 with a 75-90 grn is even legal for Elk in Colorado, so I think that any of the choices you are looking at would be fine.

Thank you all for your imput. Makes life a-lot easier and time / money saved when you get help from folks that's been there done that.

Tim

I have a 6mm Rem. with a 12 in heavy, custom target ,barrel on a Rem. 700 BDL action. This rifle is a wonderful shooter and I do take it out on an occasional deer hunt. I have easily taken a score of whitetale with this rifle. The rifle will not stabilize a 85gr. boat tail, but it will shoot the 85gr. Sierra spt well inside .5 in., about any old time. I shoot this bullet at 3350 fps and I have been completely happy with the results on deer. Usually I get an exit and with anything resembling a good shot, they go down fast. Also, I tried the 70 and 75 gr. bullets. I never lost a deer with these pills but the preformance was not nearly as consistant as with the 85 's.

Tim, the 12 twist presents a problem in that the bullet choices are the more fragile types that will require precise bullet placement. With proper bullet placement, the animals will drop like a stone or only run a very short ways because their insides are jello.

With many bullets, the 12 twist is on the side of not stabalizing them, especially some of the boat tails.

I believe that the 90g Speer will stabalize in the 12 twist. I shot them in a custom 6mm Rem some years back and they killed antelope just fine. I know for a fact that the Sierra 100g semi spitzer will stabalize in the 12 twist, but not the regular spitzer nor the boat tail. I doubt if the 85g Barnes tripple shock will stabalize either.

The Speer and Nosler 80g may stabalize in your 12 twist, they both are worth a try.

I would think that if you had a scope in the 4-16 range or even better 6-24, you could place your shot extremely well on the deer...it gives you a measure of confidence to get a close up sight picture of the animal.

Good luck!

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.