.243?

ATH

I currently shoot a Sendero 300WM and love it. I've gotten a place to shoot as far as a mile, however I'm starting to think I can justify a smaller rifle as well. My new locale has quite a few coyotes, and the over-penetration of my 200gr pills has me worried about how far they will travel after impact.

I've done mostly ML so I don't have wide experience with the various CF cases. I've read quite a bit on the .243 and it appears to be a good option (I like "standard" rounds and am currently considering only factory rifles). I understand 3000 fps with a 100gr bullet is reasonable? This appears to give similar ballistics (albiet with more drift) to my 300WM launching 200gr bullets at 3000 fps. What is a reasonable max range for the .243 (for paper)? It appears to say supersonic nearly as far as the WM as loaded above.

Similar trajectory, 1000 yd+ reach, cheaper reloading, less over-penetration on coyotes, less recoil = longer bench sessions...seems like a winner.

And what is barrel life like? I love my Sendero, so which Rem700 version would be a good starting point in the chambering (I would bed/do trigger as necessary).

The 95g VLD, or 105g AMAX can be loaded to 3100-3000fps pretty easily in a 26" .243.

I think it would be an awesome rifle for you. Its got 1K potential for sure. I wish I would have done a little more searching for just a coyote rifle/target rifle, there hard to beat w/the right bullets. You can still practice with them as far as a big game rifle to, with the right bullet. I like my 25-06, but it burns 10g more powder and is really not all that better ballistically unless you use the 115g VLD or something alone those lines. There just no good .257" bullets.

The .243 is easily capable of taking deer at 500 yards as well. Coyotes I'd say 800 with the high BC bullets. Punch paper and rocks at 1K. I"m not to sure what expected barrel life on 243 is, its pretty controversial, I've seen anything from 1000 to 3000 rounds...

Currently I'm using my Ruger MkII All-Weather with 85gr Barnes TSX and its performance on medium game, like Red Deer does is excellent. On smaller game it's devastating out to 500 yards.

My load with Rel22 gives an honest ( chronographed ) 3200 fps out of the 22" barrel.

Accuracy at 150 meters ( 164 yards ) is sub-moa for 3-shots groups.

[ QUOTE ]
I understand 3000 fps with a 100gr bullet is reasonable?

[/ QUOTE ]

You'll be hardpressed to get that velocity out of the 243 without experiencing signs of high pressure. 2850 to 2900 are more realistic figure; You might be able to get that though from the improved version! RJ

[ QUOTE ]
"... I've read quite a bit on the .243 and it appears to be a good option. <> Similar trajectory, 1000 yd+ reach, cheaper reloading, less over-penetration on coyotes, less recoil = longer bench sessions...seems like a winner.

And what is barrel life like? I love my Sendero, so which Rem700 version would be a good starting point in the chambering (I would bed/do trigger as necessary).

[/ QUOTE ]

The 243 with a 100 gr game bullet will over penetrate a coyote - that is, it will run through a 'yote from head to tail, and keep on going, and going, and going.

The 75 and 87 grain V-Maxs would be much better choices - they are fragile and will break up. They will still leave you with a mess, but won't travel into the next county to make another mes (legal and otherwise).

Coyotes, even the large ones up in the Connecticut/Vermont area of New England, don't need that much killin'.

For rifles that are similar to your Sendero, you have a problem. Remington makes a fairly large line up of varmint rifles with stocks that are similar or identical to the Sendero, but not in 243.

In 243, they only make one, and it's in a laminated wood stock.

http://www.remington.com/products/firearms/centerfire_rifles/model_700/model_700_VLS_specs.asp

Barrel life will be in the 1,500 range if you want accuracy to still hit 'yotes way out there.

If you are willing to consider cartridges other than the 243, then there are Remingtons that are a match to your Sendero.

http://www.remington.com/products/firearms/centerfire_rifles/model_700/model_700_VSF_specs.asp

http://www.remington.com/products/firearms/centerfire_rifles/model_700/model_700_VS_SF_II_specs.asp

There was a time when every model of varmint rifle was chambered in 243, but that is not the case any more - more varmint shooters are going back to the .22-250 and the .220 Swift for long range varminting.

Both of these would also serve you well to 600yds.

For 1,000 yds on a 'yote, you will probably have to go with something further up the ladder, like a 40XB, or a custom rifle.

1,000+ yds is a fur piece on a dog sized target!

I got a 243 with a 22in barrel. I can get a 87gr.vmax at 2800 without pushing and if you want to really push it you can get 2900. These bullets work great on deer and ground squirles. I had a buddy of mine shoot the only coyote that this gun has ever shot. It fell on the spot but on our walk up to it it jumped up and ran for the canyon. I dont know how because where he ran through the stubble field all there was was a 8in wide strip across the field to the edge of the canyon where we lost him. I havent had a deer make a step though with this bullet.

I just purchased a used .243 with a heavy varmint barrel to better enjoy my shooting. I wish I'd got one years ago! The flinch from shooting my .270 is now gone and I absolutely love the ballistics so far.
I got it after researching the .243, and particularly from the thoughtful responses from folks on this forum.
I'm not a reloader (yet), so I can't advise you as far as that is concerned, but if you want a do-it-all caliber for up to deer sized game at long range, you can't go wrong.
Here's an interesting link on the all-around capability of the .243: .243 on 6mmbr

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.