.243 Varminter

petenz

I have a .17HMR which has me covered out to around 200 yards, a .223 which is good out to 300 and then some (I know .223 can go further but it's a 'walkabout' varminter with a 3.5-10x scope) and a .204 which is good to 450-500. I am going to get a .243 so I can try for some really long shots, and am leaning towards using the 95gr SMK or Berger VLD.

Any thoughts?

The 243 is an excellent cartridge in my opinion, but doing a custom build will give you a much better rifle for longrange. Not just for better accuracy, but because you need a faster twist than commonly available in factory 243's to stablize the high BC bullets that give you favorable longrange ballistics. It seems to be very popular among the varmint crowd to use light bullets at very hgih speeds to give the best trajectory for under 500yds (also best for gut splattering impacts). Since you are talking about going beyond 500yds the faster twist will likely be your best bet. I use a 1:8 twist but I know guys going 1:7.5 for the 115gr DTAC and others. I use the 108gr Berger BT (.546 BC) my rifle really seems to like them and I can mag feed in a short action while still touching the lands.
020-2.jpg

I know how you feel when it comes to spending dough on a custom rifle. If you want to save a few bucks you could go with a Savage and build it your self. I've built several rifle this way with excellent results. I just finished a 7wsm pictured here...
014-6.jpg

I haven't got a load worked up that it likes yet but I've only shot it once. I built this 308 and it is a 1/2 MOA out to 500yds, not increadable, but excellent for what I spent.
027.jpg

I'm partial to the Remington action (it's what I grew up with and just feels nicer IMO). If you feel the same, have a smith build you something you'll love for years to come.

Lucas:
what brand and model is the stock on your .308?

I'm evaluating stocks for a .223 I will be building after deer season.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.