.243 - HELP!!

G

Looking for a 243 cal. rifle w/ either a 24" or 26" barrel, perfer a 26". Would like to keep the cost down to a min if possible. Accuracy is very important - would like to shoot dogs LR, would like to use this for deer as well, up to 300 yards. What does everyone recommand?

Thanks

there is nothing wrong w/the savage rifles for what u want to do[stay away from the ones with the cheap plastic stocks though].i personally shoot all custom rems but have had a few savages and they shoot well,the only thing is the triggers,but there are great after market ones out there[rifle basix-hint-hint].as well u could also look around for rem.varminter they can be found pretty cheap,try bnj discount firearms-www.discountfirearms.com.whatever u do dont buy a used rifle ,its worth the few extra bucks for a new one-my 2-dave

Thanks for the input, however, I can't seem to find too many rifles w/ a longer barrel. How accurate is the 243 compared to similar cals?

the 243 can be just as accurate any other chambering with proper load work[providing the rifle is up to it].to my knowledge the rem. varminters have a 26" tube if i remember correctly and the savages have a 24",the velocity gain or loss due to bbl. length is pretty neglible for the most part,also for the purposes u have stated u might even consider the 260 rem,which in my opinion would give u alot more flexibility-my 2-dave

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.