.22LR

the blur

What's the longest distance you can rely on a .22LR? I have a bunch of .22's from my Dad, that I would like to put a nice scope on.

We can only use rim fire, or less than a .22 caliber for yote hunting, during deer archery season. Not that I want to add a .17 or .204 to my collection. I'd rather scope up a .22LR

What's the longest distance you can rely on a .22LR? I have a bunch of .22's from my Dad, that I would like to put a nice scope on.

We can only use rim fire, or less than a .22 caliber for yote hunting, during deer archery season. Not that I want to add a .17 or .204 to my collection. I'd rather scope up a .22LR
If you set it up correctly,scope,trigger,round choice small game up to and including coyotes 125 yards easily. Coyotes head shots ,i drop plenty with head shots never failed,drt. Only round you need is a CCI Velocitor deadly .

.........If you set it up correctly,scope,trigger,round choice small game up to and including coyotes 125 yards easily. Coyotes head shots ,i drop plenty with head shots never failed,drt. Only round you need is a CCI Velocitor deadly ........./QUOTE]

The most important thing is as said, shot placement, and ammunition. I'll add a third hunting method.

Shot placement is easy to assess, get a full size paper coyote target, hang it at your most likely range, set up in your most likely hunting style and bang away. We play the head shot game in this way. Most develop an affinity for body shots after seeing their scores.

I think the .22LR has the advantage shooting squirrels for the pot, and that's about it. I've seen a grown man killed with one at a distance most don't believe they will travel.

Given the choice (i have both) I'd go 27 HMR. I also have a couple of .223 bolt guns that work quite work a bunch better.

If you want reliability that is the issue with rimfire. I would recommend that you stay away from bulk ammo as this is not consistent when it comes to grouping. If you ever notice when you do a 10 shot group you may have fliers that will be high or low and than there will be the failure to fire and you may have to turn the round around so that the firing pin will hit a different part of the primer. For reliability and consistency you may want to use premium ammo like lapua, sks, rws, eley, wolf and so on.

I have some premium ammo for hunting purposes but for plinking I started buying only CCI and Aguila brand as I find for my rifles these brands perform very well. I practice with these brands at 230 yards on clay targets and am able to hit fragments as well. In your case you need to find out what your rifle likes best as they can be very finicky. This means you need to shoot groups at 50 and/or 100 yards preferably at 125 to 150 for your distance to coyotes hopefully with head shots or behind the ear. Remember if one type of ammo shoots good at 50 that may not shoot good at 100 so find out which ammo is your rifle likes best. I'm sure you know that distance and wind will effect your bullet tremendously.

If 22 magnum is allowed I would prefer this caliber over the 22lr for coyote at 125 yards.

This may give you an idea if you use the right rifle.

J E CUSTOM

Couple coyotes succumbed to 22,head shots @100 yards,DRT,CCI Velocitor.Tikka T1x 2lb trigger 4x16 Weaver grand slam.Where the stick is in the ones head is where his hair got parted.

Attachments

• 22.jpg
    22.jpg
    453.9 KB · Views: 138
  • 221.jpg
    221.jpg
    488.2 KB · Views: 162
  • 222.jpg
    222.jpg
    447.7 KB · Views: 218
  • 223.jpg
    223.jpg
    502 KB · Views: 144
Last edited:
Don't have any experience shooting yotes, but I saw a guy whack a prairie dog at a tad over 400 yds! 22 rifles are finicky in that each has it's own preference of ammo. I call the job "reloading for a 22" is shooting differing brands, velocities, bullets to see which one that rifle prefers. For long range, at or over 100 yards for the 22, it is very important to have the right ammo, a fine scope seated properly in very good rings. You want to be the best you can be when shooting anything , especially at distance.

Don't have any experience shooting yotes, but I saw a guy whack a prairie dog at a tad over 400 yds! 22 rifles are finicky in that each has it's own preference of ammo. I call the job "reloading for a 22" is shooting differing brands, velocities, bullets to see which one that rifle prefers. For long range, at or over 100 yards for the 22, it is very important to have the right ammo, a fine scope seated properly in very good rings. You want to be the best you can be when shooting anything , especially at distance.
You're thinking is on track, but practice is key, I wouldn't shoot a coyote unless it was high neck or head.Ammunition is critical,Only use CCI Velocitor,Aguila interceptor hollow point 40 grain,or Winchester power point 42 grain ,of the three CCI Velocitor will give the best terminal ballistics,followed by Aguila,. Winchester has the lowest velocity ,but will get the job done if the shot is good. If I only had a 22 to use I'd still kill a measly 30 to 50 a year,DRT. Practice is key, practice on an egg sized target at 100 yards,if you can hit a dozen eggs in a row call yourself ready. Go with a minimum 10X scope, make sure the rifle has a good crisp trigger,and don't skimp on a rifle,CZ,Tikka will shoot about anything fed them. With repetitive practice a 22 in a hunting scenario will drop em out to 150,head shots, any further and I'd grab another caliber. Very easy to get within 100 yards of coyotes,in most cases terrain factors into the equation.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.