.223 vs. 5.56

couture11

I have got some questions as to the difference between the two of these calibers. I know one difference is a few thousands of an inch in headspace, but I am wondering what is the difference is in ballistic performance. I understand that the 5.56Nato is the military round, and have been told that it is a higher pressure round, and that most surplus ammo is no good for reloading. I know that varmint hunters seem to prefer the .223 because it is more accurate (so I have been told) and it appears to be more small game hunting ammo available in that caliber. So besides these differences, is there any velocity difference, and any difference in general availablity of ammo (especially now). Do these calibers share any uses such as coyote hunting, or other small game. What I am really after in all this is--how do these rounds differ in performance? Thanks

Headspace is the same. There may be a tolerance difference, but commercial reamers are all being cut basically the same.

The real differences are in the freebore length. This affects the way the pressure "loads up" on the back of the bullet as it enters the lands. Longer freebore can soften that spike.

It looks like pressure is different, but is it really? Psi methods vs copper crusher are just different.

This guy gets it right, it seems.

One other thing to consider is 5.56 ammo is loaded to run in 1:7 twist barrels. These are typically 62-77gr bullets loaded a bit hot.

223 is typically 40-60 gr bullets for 12 twist barrels loaded to medium.

They are the same caliber, they are both .224. Now the cartridge difference is old reamer headspace and pressure. They are the same brass and bullet. They do the same thing and go pew pew, but remember pressure equals speed.

5.56 is loaded to max pressure of 58,000 PSI for the military. .223 is loaded to max pressure of 55,000 PSI. I have at least 800 rounds of military brass (Lake City) reloaded to shoot through mine and my wife's ARs. You have to remove the primer crimp, and the brass is thicker. I use one grain or so less powder in military brass. Of course you don't have to reload to max pressure.

I have got some questions as to the difference between the two of these calibers. I know one difference is a few thousands of an inch in headspace, but I am wondering what is the difference is in ballistic performance. I understand that the 5.56Nato is the military round, and have been told that it is a higher pressure round, and that most surplus ammo is no good for reloading. I know that varmint hunters seem to prefer the .223 because it is more accurate (so I have been told) and it appears to be more small game hunting ammo available in that caliber. So besides these differences, is there any velocity difference, and any difference in general availablity of ammo (especially now). Do these calibers share any uses such as coyote hunting, or other small game. What I am really after in all this is--how do these rounds differ in performance? Thanks
This might be the easiest way to obtain your information, although many here could go over it quite well... it's been written many times over. Good luck Cheers.

Unfortunately the Sniper Country article is somewhat unclear. When initially issued the 223 Remington and the US 5.56 (M193 Cartridge) were the same cartridge. The 5.56 was not referred to as 5.56x45 or NATO. As helmet and body armor became better the original 55gr FMJ round was found to have penetration issues. Also the European NATO countries were looking to replace the 7.62x51NATO round in current use with a lighter round similar to the US 5.56 and 5.45x39 Russian. In 1980 or 81 NATO selected a round based on the Remington 223/5.56 Case but with a 62 grain bullet with a steel penetrator designed by FN. In order to handle the longer bullet (about 0.25" IIRC) the camber for the round needed a longer freebore than the original 223 round had. This became the 5.56x45 NATO. CIP standards were also used for pressure measurement which accounts for most of the pressure difference. The US had no problem with the new round since the only change to existing M16 rifles was a barrel change with the new chamber and a 1 in 7 twist.

While it has become common to refer to M193 as 5.56x45 NATO it is not a NATO cartridge.

wondering what is the difference is in ballistic performance
Entirely dependent on barrel length, action, bullet weight, barrel twist, etc. There is such a wide range of all those out there that there is no way to broadly compare the two without going into at least some level of detail on intended use.

77gn 223 Rem from a 16# 26" barreled bolt action will most likely be a lot more accurate than a 55gn 5.56mm from an 5# 11.5" barreled AR. But that has nothing to do with the cartridges and everything to do with the platform.

most surplus ammo is no good for reloading.
Lake City cases can be used for reloading, but loaded ammo in the common civilian-labeled variants of M193 and M855 are pretty lousy in terms of accuracy and precision. I have a 6 Mongoose that uses 5.56 LC cases that shoots exceptionally well and proves out that LC brass is capable of good things, but I don't typically reload those cases as a standard .223 Rem or 5.56mm NATO other than to run through ARs. Easier to buy Lapua and start off without a crimp that has to be cut out, cases known to be matched from the same lot, all the normal reasons factory fired brass isn't the ideal source for any reloader in any chambering.

I know that varmint hunters seem to prefer the .223 because it is more accurate (so I have been told) and it appears to be more small game hunting ammo available in that caliber.
Base accuracy is more likely a by-product of the 5.56mm being primarily used in ARs and not in bolt action rifles. It's cheaper and easier to make a bolt action more accurate than an AR. Either platform can be built to shoot exceptionally well, as proved in Service Rifle competition and by countless varminters using ARs, but those aren't the rifles you find on the wall being sold as mass-produced sporting rifles. At equal price points for fully assembled rifles, 223 Rem chambered bolt actions are likely higher quality than 5.56mm chambered ARs. Also there is a slim-to-none chance of finding a 223 Rem bolt action with a chrome lined barrel, which is somewhat common in 5.56mm ARs.

Hybrid and wildcat chambers like the 223 Wylde, 20 Practical, and several other AR-specific variants have eclipsed the 5.56mm/223 Rem in the AR platform with significantly improved performance and part quality, to the point I don't see a reason to ever build a 5.56mm NATO chambered barrel.

Ammunition availability would favor the 223 Rem as there are more hunter-focused loads for it versus 5.56mm with it's sporting rifle focus, but you can use 223 Rem in 5.56 so there's not really a mark against the 5.56mm in terms of availability.

Do these calibers share any uses such as coyote hunting, or other small game.
Yes, they can be used for predator hunting, up into smaller ungulates, and can be great on feral hogs specifically. 223 Rems don't seem as popular in predator hunting as the 22-250, 204 Ruger, 6 Creedmoor, etc that shoot faster and flatter, but does still function perfectly fine in those roles.

My personal 223 AI is a 7 twist designed to shoot 77+gn bullets out to 1000+ yards, and I would have no reservations shooting anything up to Texas whitetail with it. Since it's a fast twist it wouldn't be my go-to for varmint or predator hunting, but if had been built in a 12 twist it could be ideal for that.

What I am really after in all this is--how do these rounds differ in performance?
Practically speaking, they don't - if you compare apples to apples on quality of rifle and ammunition. A well built rifle with quality ammo will shoot as good or better as the shooter can, in either loading spec, in a bolt or AR platform. There is simply not enough difference between the two to matter at all, especially in the hands of someone who can load for them.

Plain and simple

Attachments

• Snapchat-1433027107.jpg
    Snapchat-1433027107.jpg
    133.1 KB · Views: 168
5.56 is loaded to max pressure of 58,000 PSI for the military. .223 is loaded to max pressure of 55,000 PSI. I have at least 800 rounds of military brass (Lake City) reloaded to shoot through mine and my wife's ARs. You have to remove the primer crimp, and the brass is thicker. I use one grain or so less powder in military brass. Of course you don't have to reload to max pressure.
This a chart from accurate shooter. It shows L.C. as some of the lightest brass with the largest capacity.
Case ManufacturerCase Weight*H20 Capacity**
Lake City 0692.030.6
WCC9995.530.5
Sellier & Belloit92.330.5
Remington92.330.4
PMC93.530.4
Hirtenberger93.730.4
Lake City 0493.030.4
Federal96.330.2
Hornady93.930.1
IMG (Guatemalan)95.430.1
Lapua (new lot)93.430.1
Winchester93.930.1
Olympic97.430.0
Radway Arsenal96.130.0
PMP104.529.9
FNM 93-197.329.8
Lapua (old lot)104.028.0

@Ol' Red

Unfortunately it's a misconception that 223/5.56 military brass is different. The 223 Remington cartridge case is the same cartridge case as the 5.56 and 5.56x45 NATO. It was developed for the fully automatic M16. The source of the misconception is from the 30-06 and the M1. That cartridge was developed for a bolt action rifle in 1903 and modified in 06. Military brass for the 30-06 is heavier and has thicker walls as it needs to withstand the violent extraction of the cartridge while the barrel is still under pressure without tearing the rim off or separating the case. The 308 cases are somewhat the same case as the cartridge was designed for the M14. The big difference in case capacities occurred when Winchester was awarded a contract for Palma ammunition. They scolloped the base (balloon head) to increase capacity of the brass and the result was about a 2 grain H20 increase in capacity.

That is rather enlightening to me. I still had the same velocity with one less grain of powder in Lake City brass as I do with Remington .223 brass in my AR. I will be retesting that very soon. This time both will be shot on the same day so the conditions will be identical. If there is any brass that has not been decapped already it will get water tested this weekend. Thank you gentlemen.