221 fireball

coyote_runner

Does any have 221 fireball? I would like to know how far it shoots accuratly. How accurate it is at 100yds. And is it big enough to take a deer down?

I have been shooting a .221FB rifle for several years. Funny, but when I had it built I thought I would be one of very few people who would be using this cartridge in a rifle. Boy was I in for a surprise.
smile.gif

My Hart barreled rifle will shoot 40gr B-Tip bullets into .5moa @ 200yds, providing that the wind is favorable. Small varmint kills out to 400yds are obtainable.

As for deer??????????? You will always read about the guy who kills his deer with a 22 rimfire. The .221FB with a 53gr X bullet is certainly adequate for a whitetail if the range is moderate and the shot placement is perfect. With that said, I'd add that I don't shoot deer with anything smaller than my 7mm-08. But that's just me. I don't look for the least potent cartridge that can get the job done
rolleyes.gif

VH

I've got one on a chanlyn barrel and it will get in the 2's and 3's and will get out in the 200 yd range for PD. I use 52 gr match bullets but may try some 40 gr for it and get the velocity up. If done right the 221 fireball is just a small 222. I've had mine about 10 yrs now. My buddy got one with a wise-mcmillian barrel and it's a solid 1/2" rifle. Only problem we run into is the wind out in eastern co somedays a 50 might be OK. Well good luck to you.

Varminting with the .221FB.

The .221FB rifle seems to be idealy suited for use with the 40gr bullets. For a long time my standard load was a Nosler 40gr B-Tip (moly) over 19.3gr of RE7. Shot .5" @ 3,200 ft/sec and killed many PA groundgogs.

About a year ago I switched to Lil'Gun with the same bullet. Lil'Gun is capable of shooting the 40gr bullet @ 3,600 ft/sec.
shocked.gif
That's a whopping 400 ft/sec increase. Only a slight flattening of the primers can be detected and the brass has been reloaded several times without a problem. Accuracy is the same out of the 21" Hart tube.

This would put the .221 right on the heals of the .223. Not equal, but close. The .221FB is a very accurate and useful cartridge in a short/light rifle.

VH

I have a CZ 527 in .221 Fireball and really like its looks, ballance and accuracy.

It has a factory single-set trigger, factory supplied scope rings, 5-shot removable box magazine, hammer-forged 22-inch barrel and is very, very accurate.

The test target that came with my rifle shows 3 shots into 0.375 inches at 100 meters. Not bad!

With the new Remington factory ammo (50grain V-max), I have been getting 0.75 inch groups from shooting sticks and seated position at 100 yards--plenty good for coyote.

The Fireball is also very "quiet", as compared to a .223 Remington. Actually, the ballistics for the 50 grain bullet in the 22-inch barrel (.221 Fireball) are better than the .223 Remington in a 16" carbine. Quieter, too.

The Fireball is worth a look if you want a highly efficient cartridge for 200 yard coyotes or 400 yard PDs.

I would go with a Nosler 60-grain Partition or the Barnes XLC 45-grain bullet for larger critters (and keep range short with perfect shot placement).

Cheers,

I typed 221 into Google, got this question and from it discovered this website!
I have just had a 221 built on a Sako action and suspect it will be one of less than half a dozen in South Africa where I ranch and run a hunting outfit.
I suspect that it will be perfect for our hyrax (dassie) hunting of which there is plenty. They look a bit like rock chucks and weigh 6 lbs.
It could work for our springbok (I have shot many with a 222), but unless conditions are ideal I prefer a bigger caliber. Springbok weigh up to about 8o lbs and I have an annual quota of 500 on my ranch.
Anyone want to come hunting?! Keep up the info on the 221 as there sure is nothing this side of the ocean.http://www.graaffreinetsafaris.co.za

Julian,

I have no experience shooting animals heavier than 15lbs with the .221FB and my preferred 40gr bullets. If I intended to shoot 80lb springbuck I would expect that a heavier bullet would perform better.

The 52gr A-Max might be my first choice. Heavier bullets from the tiny .221 have very low muzzle velocity. The Barnes X bullets would give reliable penetration but the accuracy is HARD to find. I tried several different combos in my custom rifle and eventually gave up.

VH

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.