220 swift test results. Opinions needed

Ccctennis

I did my first big load development test this week with my 220-swift. I used a round robin system that I read lots of reloaders use. I need help deciphering some of the results. Here are the powder charges and group size:
Powder varget. Bullet hornady a-max 40 grain. 100 yard test. .4 increments.

36.8 gr. .6 inch
37.2 gr. 1.0 inch
37.6 gr. .75 inch
38.0 gr. .9 inch
38.4 gr. 1.5 inch
38.8 gr. .5 inch
39.2 gr. 1.0 inch
39.6 gr. 1.4 inch
40.0 gr. 2.0 inch
40.4 gr. 2.0 inch
Some questions I have regarding the test.
1. What is the next step in continued testing loads?
2. What do the up and down sizes really mean? Does it mean with barrel harmonics that my rifle shoots better with lighter powder charge and a heavier one. 36.8 and 38.8?
3. Do I take the best two or three weights and shoot more or do I tinker with coal?

Just my opinion but if you going to shoot varget i would load 39 grns.ive been loading my swift with h 4895 with 40 gr noslers.with .25 inch groups.the lighter bullets like faster burning powder.varget would be better for 55 grn bullets.i have good luck with 4064 too.nothing no more than .5 grps at hundred.ive loaded probably 6 differnt bullets in mine,the most accurate is the 40grn barnes varmiator.2cnd,nosler varmegedon,then sierra 55 grn fb spitzer.i coyotey hunt mostly,but i did some experimenting with the barnes 45 tsx on white tails this year.all i can say is po ackley was right about strong bullets and alot of velocity.a well placed shot head on right at the base of neck .the buck jumped straight in air and hit the ground with one shot.it really impressed me.just have to keep playing with your rifle.

I don't know what your Swift is going to be used for primarily, but, I would step up to the 50gr bullet and test with your Varget and some IMR4064. I've never had a Swift that I couldn't get to shoot one of these combo's accurately with velocities well over 4000fps. I mainly shoot coyotes with mine and have moved to the Nosler BT. In my experience shoulder shots with the V-max and BlitzKing can be a little iffy traveling that fast. I had a 220 Wby Rocket built with a Krieger 1-14 twist and am still firforming, but with 39gr of IMR 4064 and a 50gr BT it shoots groups in the high .2's and low 3's consistently. Can't wait to let the hammer down on some full power loads and see what happens. Good Luck.

I'd forget about the 40's. They start out fast and slow down fast.
Grab some 50 or 55 gr Ballistic Tips and some IMR-4064 and watch your Swift shine.

I did my first big load development test this week with my 220-swift. I used a round robin system that I read lots of reloaders use. I need help deciphering some of the results. Here are the powder charges and group size:

36.8 gr. .6 inch
37.2 gr. 1.0 inch
37.6 gr. .75 inch
38.0 gr. .9 inch
38.4 gr. 1.5 inch
38.8 gr. .5 inch
39.2 gr. 1.0 inch
39.6 gr. 1.4 inch
40.0 gr. 2.0 inch
40.4 gr. 2.0 inch
2. What do the up and down sizes really mean? Does it mean with barrel harmonics that my rifle shoots better with lighter powder charge and a heavier one. 36.8 and 38.8?
3. Do I take the best two or three weights and shoot more or do I tinker with coal?

First, go to the sticky at the top of this forum:

http://www.longrangehunting.com/for...accuracy-berger-vld-bullets-your-rifle-40204/

Back off to your starting load and do the above test, even though you are not using Berger bullets. You probably won't be able to get anywhere near the rifling with your chosen bullet, so start at book length and test increasing OAL's from there.

Then, do your powder charge workup. Before you do, I strongly recommend that you carefully read the following:

OCW Overview - Dan Newberry's OCW Load Development System

Note that, when reading your target, you will be observing more than just group size, according to the above method.

When you have completed the steps, you will know what your rifle's potential with your chosen combination is. You can decide from there if you are happy with that or if you want to try something else.

I'd say forget the 40 grain bullets. Get some 55 grain V max's and fill the case full of IMR 4831. Like 44-45 grains gives me 3900 fps and .25-.5 moa. I also use RL-15 38.5 grains gives me 3800 fps and .25-.5 moa . These are my go to loads hope this helps.

The group sizes alone do not mean anything in this type test. We need to see the targets as well. What you are looking for is a node where the center of 2 or 3 consecutive groups does not move appreciably. This is a "sweet spot". As indicated above, read the entire site on Dan Newberry's OCW test. His examples will help you understand your results. You can also go to www.practicalrifler.fr.yuku and post your results there. That is a forum maintained by Dan Newberry. He and others who are experienced with the OCW test will help you.

Also, as stated above, find your best seating depth then retest.

After you find the depth and OCW load, you can retest around that load to verify the results. Some like to shoot a ladder test around the OCW load as well. The downside to the ladder test is that if you throw one shot, it will negate the entire test.

If you skip a step in testing for the best load, it just makes it harder and longer.

FWIW,

Dennis

It has been over 30 years ago but I had a 220 Swift in a factory Ruger 77 varmint barrel rifle. It was a shooter with a case full 39.5 grs of IMR4064 I think and 52 gr Speer match bullets. I shot crows with it waaaaaay out in peanut fields after they harvested the peanuts. Looked like you set a hand grenade off in them. POOF went the black feathers.

... Here are the powder charges and group size:

36.8 gr. .6 inch
37.2 gr. 1.0 inch
37.6 gr. .75 inch
38.0 gr. .9 inch
38.4 gr. 1.5 inch
38.8 gr. .5 inch
39 grains + seating depth adjustments
39.2 gr. 1.0 inch
39.6 gr. 1.4 inch
40.0 gr. 2.0 inch
40.4 gr. 2.0 inch

Can't say as I've ever handled a 40 grain A-Max but I am familiar with their Z-Max and V-Max in that weight. Like some others here, I'd recommend you jump up to a 50 grain bullet and start over. Whether you choose a Hornady or Sierra etc. you'll probably have to settle for something below a .250 BC but the ballistic tips help keep the weight concentrated to the center of the bullet's length so stability should not be a major issue at the velocities that rifle is capable of.
I'd avoid any flat based bullets and rely on boat tails for better stability and greater preservation of velocity over distance.
If you're going to stay with the 40 grain bullet:
Seating depth
2. What do the up and down sizes really mean?
How barrel harmonics influence your shot groups
Does it mean with barrel harmonics that my rifle shoots better with lighter powder charge and a heavier one. 36.8 and 38.8?
Yes and No. It means that you have a rifle that is performing as expected;; it will reveal more than one "sweet spot" at various points within a range of test loads.
I'd suggest you begin using CBOL and avoiding COAL. That's the best way I know of to maintain consistency in seating depth.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.