22 in 300 prc?

Following this. About to get moving towards 300 PRC shooting around 3000fps right out the tube, a lifetime of playing with every other .30 cal round under the sun has me itching

It's just always hard to decide I like 300 wm for ammo variety and availability but 300 prc shoots a heavier bullet around the same speed with minimal extra recoil and I'm sure in the future there will be more factory loads available.

It's just always hard to decide I like 300 wm for ammo variety and availability but 300 prc shoots a heavier bullet around the same speed with minimal extra recoil and I'm sure in the future there will be more factory loads available.

I agree with this but i typically hand load. It is nice to have off the self heavier options. The heaviest hunting load I have found in 300wm is the federal 200g terminal ascent. I've read where the 300 wm actually was faster with a 220 grain bullet than the 300 prc but still really close and that was with hand loads and both throated the same free bore and same barrel twist of 1:9. This was only one example so it could have just been a faster barrel on the wm.

Working with H1000 exclusively, which cartridge likes the powder better if both a 300wm and 300prc have the same free bore and twist? Using the 205-225g projectiles. I read a lot of guys going to n570 or R26 in the 300 prc to get more velocity because H1000 shows pressure before the desired speed.

I agree with this but i typically hand load. It is nice to have off the self heavier options. The heaviest hunting load I have found in 300wm is the federal 200g terminal ascent. I've read where the 300 wm actually was faster with a 220 grain bullet than the 300 prc but still really close and that was with hand loads and both throated the same free bore and same barrel twist of 1:9. This was only one example so it could have just been a faster barrel on the wm.

Working with H1000 exclusively, which cartridge likes the powder better if both a 300wm and 300prc have the same free bore and twist? Using the 205-225g projectiles. I read a lot of guys going to n570 or R26 in the 300 prc to get more velocity because H1000 shows pressure before the desired speed.

Thank you for the reply! So this post was a few months back. I was piecing together a long action magnum 30 cal hunting rifle. Since this post I have picked up a defiance anti long action, a manners LRH and a proof research carbon sendero 24 in in a 1:10 and I ended up going with a 300wm. Reason being is I have a lot of ammo for it and I know it's something I will always find. And this whole velocity issue hornady is having has left a bad taste in my mouth.

Thank you for the reply! So this post was a few months back. I was piecing together a long action magnum 30 cal hunting rifle. Since this post I have picked up a defiance anti long action, a manners LRH and a proof research carbon sendero 24 in in a 1:10 and I ended up going with a 300wm. Reason being is I have a lot of ammo for it and I know it's something I will always find. And this whole velocity issue hornady is having has left a bad taste in my mouth.
What reamer did you use and how has your velocity been with it so far? What bullet did you have your smith throat it for?

What reamer did you use and how has your velocity been with it so far? What bullet did you have your smith throat it for?

The smith has only had it for a few weeks now I probably won't have it back till October at some point. But he's going to contact me with those details later. I want to shoot the 200 gr terminal ascents like you mentioned. I've got 300 or so rounds of those, and then I would also like to shoot the 190 gr federal gold medal for plinking and practice. Do you recommend a reamer? I don't know enough about them to know which reamer to go with

Depending on what bullet you want to use I'm sure your smith will know how to throat it. A modified A191 should be fine. A few years ago Nez Rongero had made a post about doing that. He was getting 215's to go 3k in a 26" barrel. He also shot a lot of 190grain bullets. I shoot suppressed so I wouldn't want to go longer than 22" but I may have to to keep the speed.

Last edited:
Depending on what bullet you want to use I'm sure your smith will know how to throat it. A modified A191 should be fine. A few years ago Nez Rongero had made a post about doing that. He was getting 215's to go 3k in a 26" barrel. He also shot a lot of 190grain bullets. I shoot suppressed so I wouldn't want to go longer than 22" but I may have to to keep the speed.

I hunted Wyoming last year with a 26 in barrel and a 6 inch suppressor and I'll say it didn't bother me till we got in nasty bushes but anything would have a hard time going through. The length wasn't much of a bother but I will say I would have enjoyed something a touch shorter. The 24 inch to me is a good blend of length and velocity. I'd like to have something still traveling over 2800 fps and I think 185 berger factory federal loads will still get to the high 2990's and or a little over 3k out of a 24 inch barrel.

I have a 24" 300 WM that I loaded up "short" and "long" loads for a 300 WM with 215 Bergers. The short load gets me 2686 FPS with H1000. This is loaded to 3.335" to fit in a Ruger box and what I would expect from a factory load. Long was at 2826 FPS. I didn't want to single feed this so it was not an option. Put both those numbers in a calculator and they are not that far off at range.

If you can find the Federal 215s in stock anywhere, worth looking at. HSM also makes the 210 for the 300 WM.

For the PRC, Berger loads the 245 for it. That would be the easy button for a factory offering.

I was interested in the 300 PRC, so I took a look at the local store. No 300 PRC on the shelves. Lots of 7, but there is always 300 WM.