22 CM and 6mm CM

rpatchan

So is barrel burn rate the same with the 22CM and the 6CM or will they burn out at different rates. Wanting to shoot coyotes mainly. I have a 6.5CM now, how does it compare in barrel burn rate and why if they are different?

Just got done with my initial load work on a 22 Creedmoor. Both my previous 6mm, shooting mostly 107 sierra match kings went South at 2200 rounds but I retired them to just casual plinking 600 yards and in. My new 6/6.5 PRC is for shooting the 115 DTACs... because I didn't think the 6 mm Creedmoor shot out fast enough.:D

if worried about barrel life, which I understand because it's about 800 bucks to get a barrel and get it chambered. I would use a 75 to 80 grain bullet with slow burning powder and don't shoot in rapid succession.

Last edited:
That is a loaded question. It all depends on how you load and push them. I own two 22 Creedmoors and three 6mm Creedmoors and love all of them. I pushed one 22 creedmoor hot and fast and my barrel died at around 800 rounds. I have not shot out any of the 6mm creedmoor barrels yet. You will get alot more barrel life in the 6.5 followed by the 6 and then the 22. All the creedmoors are fun calibers to shoot. I suggest you build, shoot and have fun. Then slap another barrel on when they wear out.

The 22 Creedmoor is a little north of 50 grains case capacity (looks like an average of my data puts it at 52 grains.) To put that in perspective a 22-250 ai is about 46 grains h20 and a 223 wssm is 55. Putting it squarely on the hot rod side of 223 rounds. While life can be mitigated with moderate load and powder selection, it's still hotrod and comes with a price.

6mm creed, lands about middle of the pack. At most upper middle, it's not radically overbore essentially a modern brass version of a 243.

If I were a betting man having used cartridges around the two, I'd bet 800-1000 rounds for the 22 and 1600-2000 for the 6. Obviously lots of variables factor in, barrels are a lot like rear tires. The driver can play a big role...

The 22 Creedmoor is a little north of 50 grains case capacity (looks like an average of my data puts it at 52 grains.) To put that in perspective a 22-250 ai is about 46 grains h20 and a 223 wssm is 55. Putting it squarely on the hot rod side of 223 rounds. While life can be mitigated with moderate load and powder selection, it's still hotrod and comes with a price.

6mm creed, lands about middle of the pack. At most upper middle, it's not radically overbore essentially a modern brass version of a 243.

If I were a betting man having used cartridges around the two, I'd bet 800-1000 rounds for the 22 and 1600-2000 for the 6. Obviously lots of variables factor in, barrels are a lot like rear tires. The driver can play a big role...
That helps. Thank you