22 BR questions

Alucard

Hey everyone,

I am thinking about a future rifle project chambered in the 22 BR. I have a few questions.

What is the estimated barrel life of a 22 BR shooting the 40 - 55 grn bullets?

Any draw backs to this little fast round? I am thinking varminting primarily with this round in the 100 yard to 500 yard ranges. Also target shooting up to 500 yards. Would this be a good round for mid to high volume shooting?

If not this round, any other suggestions? Basically I am trying to come up with a 3400+ FPS mid to high volume shooter. Accuracy is top on the list. I am also looking for a round that is good on barrels (4000+ rounds of accuracy). Primarily a varmint/target rifle. Low recoil is also a must. I am not blast nor recoil shy, but the primary shooter of this rifle is, so any rounds that fit the criteria? Does not have to be a 22 cal.

Thanks for any help!

Thanks for the reply!

Actually that is where I found out most of my info about the 22 BR. Honestly, it doesn't say much about it. Just general info about bullets, powder and some load data. The article also mentions how to form the brass. But really, that is about all. :p

How about the plain old 6BR? Covers all your criteria, even 3400+FPS with small bullets.

I rebarreled my old stand-by Rem 722, 22-250, to 22BR about 3 years ago. It was one of the best moves I ever made. I easily get velocities, equalling the 22-250, using less powder. I have used this rifle on a few PD hunts and it is exceptional. As with any hotrod, making sure not to get the barrel excessively hot will help with barrel life. Benchmark powder does very well in this case.

I just completed my first custom build in 22 BR on a Stiller action and shoots really, really nice. Consistent 1.162 groups or better at 200 so far, good enough for me for sure. To me the recoil is not an issue.
I dont understand all the concern with barrel life and have been slinging about 20 rounds a week on my day off. When its gone I'll put another Bartlein and sling some more.
You might have concerns shooting a 55 gn out to 500 though. Depends on where you shoot. In my research most found that the 6BR would be better suited for that type of range. But those were just opinions on web sites.Good luck.

Grin

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.